With modular sofas, floor-to-ceiling shelving and assorted armchairs, here’s the hottest living room design trends for 2023.
The living room is a visiting card of any apartment or house. Here we spend most of our time, receive guests, spend time with our family, and relax. It is in the interior design of the living room that you can experiment and express yourself. This article has collected all the current trends of the coming year that you will definitely like, with photos of beautiful examples.
Living room trends 2023
The first and most important trend is to move away from small isolated spaces. It is not for nothing that developers offer studios of a large footage (this is no longer a temporary option of 15-25 sq. M. For students and newlyweds) and apartments with euro-layouts, where up to 50% of the area is occupied by a kitchen-living room.
What to consider when registering an open space?
- The secret of success is correct zoning. Parts of the room should be visually separated, but it is important not to overload the space. It is better to refuse from bulky partitions and solid plasterboard walls. Good zoning tools : glass screens, mobile screens, shelving with large openings, furniture, trimmings.
- We save light and air – this point follows from the previous one. The greatest value of an open space is a sense of spaciousness. In order not to lose it, we abandon blind dividers as much as possible and form functional zones with the help of logically arranged furniture, color combinations and different finishes.
- Multifunctional spaces are the future. In one room, you can combine several at once: a kitchen, a living room, an office, a gym, even a bedroom.
Modular sofas are one of the hottest trends that will definitely not give up anytime soon. Interior design is now going through an era of functionality and reasonable minimalism, the concept of which perfectly fits the idea of modular upholstered furniture.
What is good about modular furniture
- This is not a separate item, but a whole system, which includes seats, poufs, couches, drawers and shelves, a berth, etc.
- All elements are selected personally – you choose only those elements that you need, and in the quantity you need.
- The result is a unique, mobile and ergonomic product that fits exactly into the size of the room and meets the lifestyle of the owners.
Modular sofas are made in a modern design, thanks to which they fit perfectly into minimalist, loft and contemporary interiors. They are not used in pure classics, but they are suitable for a contrasting eclectic design, in which several different directions are mixed.
Due to the pandemic, we began to spend more time at home, and this affected the perception of the interior. The focus in the coming years will shift to creating the most cozy and comfortable atmosphere, which means that shapes and silhouettes will soften.
Already now, in fashionable interiors of living rooms, rectangular furniture with pronounced angles is being replaced by smooth, curved lines: round armchairs and tables, spherical lamps, crescent-shaped sofas. Any streamlined shapes and various textures that flow into each other and turn the space into a cozy cocoon are in trend. Moreover, it does not have to be a perfectly even circle – pay attention to the forms inherent in nature with their imperfections and sometimes the absence of perfect symmetry.
Designers’ projects have highlighted another trend that will only strengthen its position next year – not to be afraid of a large scale. More and more storage systems are found in the entire wall or built into a wide niche.
It can be an open rack, shelves of different heights for books and decor, a display-type bookcase, a design that includes both open and closed parts.
This format is good not only because it provides enough storage space and makes the most of the usable vertical surface area. At the same time, an accent wall looms, which does not need any additional decoration.
Previously, a soft group was designed according to a clear rule: a sofa, two armchairs from one set on the sides, and a coffee table in the middle. Such a strict symmetrical composition came from traditional interiors, but now this rule can be deviated from. An exception is the classical and partially neoclassical style, which has its own strict canons and principles of organizing space.
What will replace it? Not a new, but a steady trend in living rooms – accent chairs from different collections. They can be completely different in shape, material, shade, do not overlap either with each other or with the sofa. Of course, such a free composition requires a certain amount of familiarity, and it is more difficult to combine the incongruous than objects from the same group. To make the sofa group look harmonious, follow a few rules.
How to combine items in a sofa group
- Duplicate elements are important. It is they who will connect the parts of the design with each other, creating an overall harmonious image. Ornaments, colors or textures can be repeated.
- Chairs can be accentuated by bright colors, ornaments on the upholstery, or complex shapes. It is good if the pattern is repeated somewhere else – for example, in textiles.
- If there is not enough space in the living room, you can limit yourself to one chair instead of the traditional pair.
Interiors with character are in fashion. The setting should reflect the interests of the owners, their preferences, lifestyles and experiences. Therefore, in any design, even if it was created by a professional, it is important to add a piece of yourself. You don’t have to purchase an expensive piece of art straight from the gallery.
What can be an art object
- A figurine, candlestick or handmade ceramics.
- Painting by a familiar artist.
- A small sculpture found at a flea market.
- Vintage textiles.
- Collectible figurines.
- The restored “grandmother’s” furniture.
- Beautiful travel souvenirs.
- A stylized replica of a favorite piece, etc.
The amount of such decor with history should overlap with the style of the room. So, if the design of the living room in the apartment is made in minimalism, hi-tech, scandi or contemporary, there should be few decorations. It is better to choose one large-format element and make it the focal point of the space, complementing it with a minimum of other accessories. But in creative living rooms in the style of boho, eclecticism, art deco, shabby chic, you can give yourself free rein and not be afraid to overdo it with decor.
Any room should have a focal point that grabs attention and creates a wow effect. Its other role is to divert eyes from imperfections in decoration or to mask inharmonious proportions (for example, if the room is narrow and elongated).
More and more accent wall projects await us in the coming year. This trick isn’t groundbreaking, but it’s definitely trending.
What is important to consider when highlighting one wall or its section?
- It will attract the eye, which means that the finish must be of high quality.
- In the living room, it can be an area behind the TV or a dining group; in a private house, you can beat a fireplace.
- Moderation is important – in contrast to the accent surface, there should be a calm finish.
- You can highlight a certain area with a bright tone of the walls, an active pattern on the wallpaper, a shelf with decor or a mini-gallery of paintings and posters.
Another way to highlight accents, which is gaining more and more popularity, involves the opposite of the previous point. Against the background of a restrained palette and neutral finishes, there is a bright color spot, the role of which is played by a sofa.
It can be either a modular design or a classic model. The main thing in such a design is the general calm color scheme, against the background of which the only large object will stand out. Choose noble deep shades: burgundy, plum, dark blue, deep purple, terracotta, emerald, ocher, peach, mint, coral, etc.
In order for a bright product not to look foreign in the design of the living room in the apartment, it must be supported with the help of other elements.
How to support a bright sofa?
- Decorative items – for example, using the same colors in a painting or figurine.
- Textiles – curtains, carpet, cushions.
- Upholstery of armchairs or chairs – it does not have to be the same color, but at least overlap with it.
- Any small details – fittings, book covers, flower pots, etc.