Harmony in the interior is created by a thoughtful selection of furnishings, finishes and decor within the same style. Of course, now there are many eclectic interiors and interpretations of the classics, but even eclecticism has a common stylistic component. This means that in the design of windows, one should adhere to the chosen dominant, harmoniously fitting curtains and accessories into the interior design.
- Classic options
- Art deco and modern
- Curtains in modern interiors
- Ethnic fantasies
It is good that now the choice of the owner of a house or apartment is a variety of styles: from immortal classics to ultra-fashionable design solutions. The main thing is to choose the one that resonates with your soul. Check out this collection of ideas and check out the different new style curtains!
- 1 New Style Curtains
- 2 What curtains are in fashion now?
New Style Curtains
The classics are surprisingly multifaceted: they include a number of interior trends. It is wrong to identify classicism with classicism: this style is only one of its brilliant representatives. On the other hand, the baroque luxury of the classics is not classicism, but its opposite! Complicated? Let’s highlight the main features of classic styles that should be considered when sewing or buying curtains:
- Baroque is a lush, emotional and dramatic trend with many complex patterns, curls and the constant dominance of rich gilding in the palette. Baroque curtains are sewn from expensive fabrics; in the decoration of windows, golden cords, lush fringe, tiebacks, edging and, of course, luxurious lambrequins are appropriate.
- Rococo is the heir to the Baroque. This is also a palace style, but more graceful, airy. Rocky curtains are exquisite, expensively finished, combined with delightful swag and chill. But they have more lightness of refined hedonism than baroque ones. The palette is dominated by pastel colors.
- Classicism, in contrast to the intricate baroque and rococo, is more strict and geometric. For curtains and lambrequins in this style, verified proportions and strict symmetry are characteristic.
- Empire style, like classicism, is based on the traditions of antiquity. But he is more pompous and majestic. This is the “imperial” style. Empire-style curtains and lambrequins delight with deep sculptural folds.
- Romanticism is light and magical, exotic notes often sound in it. Curtains in this manner delight the eye with refined grace. This style, which has become a response to cold classicism, is more sensual and emotional.
These two styles, which appeared about a century ago, at the time of their birth were considered ultra-fashionable, opposed to the classics. Now we will rather call them classic. This also includes exquisite vintage shabby chic.
- Modern is characterized by graceful, flowing lines, which are inspired by the observation of the plant world. Its forms are intricate, refined and noble. Curly lambrequins can be used in window decor. Curtains that fall in smooth flows, soft folds are welcome.
- Art Deco is a trend that embodies fashionable luxury. It uses valuable materials, “expensive” color combinations, exotic elements. Art Deco curtains are sewn from silk, satin, brocade, jacquard and are often decorated with gold or silver embroidery. They can be white or ivory, golden honey and even black. Contrasts are welcome.
- Shabby chic is graceful, bohemian and vintage. The main palette is white and pink, prints are floral. These dominants are typical for curtains, furniture upholstery, and wallpaper.
Curtains in modern interiors
Modern interior styles gravitate towards two poles: high-tech and sustainable. The window is decorated according to these vectors.
- High-tech is characterized by simple and strict geometric lines, light fabrics, metallic effects.
- In minimalism, the curtains are as simple as possible in shape, and the color is usually chosen from the classic triad: white, black, red.
- Ecostyle, to which Japanese minimalism can also be attributed, loves curtains made of natural materials: canvas, rice paper, bamboo, matting. Roller blinds and roller blinds are often found in interiors.
- An interesting modern style – bio-tech. It combines the futuristic hi-tech with flowing lines reminiscent of modernity. Curtains in this style are usually simple curtains, but fantastic lines, sometimes visually trampling on Euclidean geometry, become the basis for creative gangs.
Ethnicity occupies a separate niche in interior art. National traditions, refracted through the prism of fashionable design trends, become the basis for colorful interiors. And window decoration, of course, plays an important role.
- In the Moroccan style and other variations on the oriental theme, curtains, canopies and curtains zoning the space are among the most significant elements of the interior. They are decorated with fringes, tassels, bugles, and are sewn either from luxurious silk and brocade, or from the finest tulle fabrics.
- In the Mediterranean style, the curtains are simple, light and light. Most often – snow-white, reminiscent of clouds over the sea.
- Provence, which came from southern France, is characterized by light, light curtains with a small floral print. Lavender or olive branches are often found in the pattern. As a rule, Provence-style curtains are not sewn too long.
- Country is the rustic style of the American province. Recognizable by cute curtains with ruffles and tie-backs, checkered print. However, floral prints in country style curtains are also common. As in provence, curtains are usually shortened.
- The already mentioned Japanese style combines minimalism with expressive artistry. In addition to Japanese panels, which are the hallmark of the style, roll-up panels are widely used.
To decorate windows with curtains, you can use a wide variety of fabrics and the most daring, intricate styles. It can be French blinders, classic, Austrian, Japanese, roller blinds, original blinds, Roman blinds, hinged curtains and many others. So you can embody the most worthy ideas in the design of curtains. But which curtains are currently in fashion? Let’s figure it out in more detail…
There is no exact answer to this question – some prefer the classics, others are prone to modernism – it all depends on the overall interior and style of your home and your personal tastes. If classic curtains are in fashion and you have modern furniture, would you buy classic curtains? Of course not. There are a great many options for curtains. Before choosing a model and color of curtains, be sure to consider the style and size of the room.
Let’s first consider the main types of curtains. At the bottom of the article, there are large ideas of the most attractive curtains in various interiors. Perhaps you will take note of something.
Curtains can be chosen with or without lambrequins. Smooth lines are in fashion. It is good if the lines of the lambrequins repeat the silhouette of the details of some furniture. Curtains can be beautifully decorated with ruffles, fringes, bows, etc.
Classic curtains will always look great, especially when they combine modern trends and elements of various styles.
The main thing in the curtains is the fabric from which they will be sewn. The fabric can be chosen with an unusual pattern, texture, dressing.
The most popular and common way of decorating the window openings, although they are used for several centuries. Despite the fact that the style was formed a long time ago, the classics do not go out of fashion and look organically in today’s interiors, which mainly use modern fabrics, tones and colors.
If you want to create a calm and comfortable environment in the room, filled with an atmosphere of warmth and comfort, then you cannot do without classic curtains. In addition, with the help of classics, you can decorate a luxurious living room, a charming bedroom, a cozy dining room, and a respectable study.
Classic curtains consist of the following components: thick curtain, veil or thin curtain and lambrequin. Curtains can perform work functions. In this case, they completely cover the window opening. However, there are also decorative types of curtains that do not provide for the complete closing of the window. The thin curtain can be made of sheer fabric or partially shaded, colored or white, and also decorated with embroidery or delicate lace.
Lambrequin is a decoration element located horizontally above the window opening and covering the part of the curtains that is located at the top. According to their qualities, lambrequins are hard and soft. Accordingly, the hard ones have the usual straight appearance or the original shape, and the soft ones are collected in draperies, folds, frills. Thanks to such a number of components, with the help of a classic curtain, you can not only favorably emphasize the shape of the window opening, but also easily hide possible flaws.
Always look luxurious and rich. They consist of several sections, which form even, smooth folds. It is important that the interior of the room is appropriate for such curtains.
French curtains are an elegant window decoration, while being an element of classic style. For arched windows, French curtains are just the perfect option. The main distinguishing feature of French curtains is a huge number of ruffles, folds and ruffles in which the fabric is gathered. It is the impeccability of the folds that creates a refined, imposing and graceful atmosphere in the interior. If earlier French curtains were made exclusively of silk, today tulle and polyester are usually used, which is a soft, elastic and practical material. Such curtains are easy to wash, they do not fade in the sun and they drape well. Due to its attractiveness, French curtains will look equally flawless in the living room and bedroom, as well as in the study and dining room.
Were originally intended for small windows, but over time they became more functional, sliding. The fabric for such curtains is chosen light and simple. They will stunningly fit into the classic interior of the room.
Austrian curtains bear some resemblance to French curtains and are a type of scalloped curtains. With the help of cords passing from the seamy side, the lower edge is gathered when the curtain is raised into lush scallops, and the upper edge has gathers or folds formed with the help of a special tape. If the curtains are lowered, they form only a few folds, which makes them look very natural. The versatility of Austrian curtains allows you to use them when decorating the interior of an ordinary city apartment and a country cottage. In the living room, dining room, bedroom, especially in a classic style, Austrian curtains will look especially appropriate.
Such curtains will be a win-win option. They look strict, have geometric shapes and will fit into any room design. Most experts rightfully consider Roman blinds to be the most ancient. However, today these curtains are at the peak of their popularity.
If you want to decorate the kitchen, balcony, loggia, doorway in an original and at the same time elegant way, visually enlarge the room or hide any architectural defect, then the designers will advise you to choose Roman blinds. This is due to the fact that the design of these curtains is both very simple and very functional. After all, they can be mounted on the ceiling, and on the wall, and in the window opening. Roman blinds are classified as flat curtains, which are flat fabrics or fabric cuts. A distinctive feature of Roman blinds is their ability to gather when lifted into horizontal flat and wide folds, which are evenly superimposed on one another. The folds are formed due to the presence of rigid slats when lowering and raising the curtain using cords, stretched at equal intervals along the entire width of the panel. Since most decorative fabrics of a wide variety of textures and colors can be used for Roman blinds, it will not be difficult to choose curtains that would match the chosen interior style. In addition, Roman shades are organically combined with other types of curtains.
One of the types of flat curtains that are wound on a special roller located at the top of the window. Roller blinds can be hung both on pvc windows and on any others. Modern roller blinds are very comfortable and practical to use. If the curtains are fully open, they are practically invisible. Closed curtains look like a smooth screen.
Due to the simple principle of operation, as well as a wide variety of both colors and patterns, these curtains can be used to decorate the interiors of various premises – living room, bedroom, children’s room, kitchen, bathroom.
Despite the fact that the appearance of Japanese or as they are also called panel curtains, we owe Japan, but today they are very popular both in Asia and America, and in Europe.
Beautiful and at the same time practical screen panels not only fit perfectly into any interior, but also help to make it original and sophisticated. In addition, with the help of panel curtains, problems related to zoning and space division are easily solved.
Japanese curtains look like perfectly flat and solid panels (lamellas), which are equipped with rigid inserts at the top and bottom. With the help of these inserts, the panels can move smoothly along the cornice without folding and remaining completely flat. The panels are controlled by a special mechanism and can move freely, as well as extend either to the center or from one side. Japanese curtains are made of special light fabric, usually transparent or translucent.
Recently, exotic curtains made of bamboo have been added to the variety of curtains we are used to.
Bamboo curtains are made from bamboo sticks that are sewn together by hand. That is why these curtains can have different types of weaving. For the manufacture of canvases, plants are used that have undergone special processing. Such curtains have reliable resistance to moisture, sunlight and other manifestations of bad weather.
As a rule, shades and colors that are close to natural are used as colors for bamboo curtains. Since bamboo is a natural environmentally friendly material, bamboo curtains will look most organically in country houses or interiors made in ecological and ethnic styles.
Are curtains made of corrugated fabric. The curtain is based on a convenient design of horizontal blinds. The fabric can have a different texture, density, pattern, color scheme.
Due to the fact that pleated curtains organically combine the comfort and warmth of fabric curtains, as well as the reliability and functionality of blinds, they are very popular in modern interiors. In addition, these curtains are very convenient when designing complex window openings.
To protect large areas from the sun, awnings are used, which allow you to create a reliable shelter from the hot sun rays. Horizontal awnings are used on open verandas and terraces, and vertical awnings can be installed both inside and outside the house. In addition to practical functions, awnings can become a decoration of a private house or cottage, since they organically and easily fit into most architectural styles.
Awnings are made of special fabrics that are resistant to constant exposure to sunlight and bad weather. Drive systems (mechanical, electrical) are used to control such curtains.
Translucent fabric, which has linen inserts, is also popular now. This tulle will create lightness in the interior and at the same time scatter the sun’s rays. Tulle and silk fabrics with a “crumpled” effect are very fashionable.
Designers claim that when choosing curtains, little things do not exist. In this case, every detail matters – the size of the window, its location, the height of the room and interior decoration. It should be taken into account that fabrics with a contrasting pattern of transverse stripes will make the walls visually wider, and vertical stripes will give the room a visual height.
Cool shades such as gray, purple and blue will fill the room with coolness, while colors such as red, beige, terracotta will create a feeling of warmth and comfort even in the coldest winter.
Bright curtains make an unforgettable impression, but they quickly become annoying and annoying, so do not hang them in a room where you spend a lot of time.
Long curtains with assemblies fit perfectly into the interior of a room with a high ceiling. But if the ceiling in your apartment is low enough, it is better to abandon the fabric elements that cover the cornice.
The curtains must be a couple of tones darker or lighter than the tone of the walls, otherwise they will simply be lost in the interior.
It is best to match the color of the curtains with the color of the upholstery or wallpaper. Nowadays, more and more often, designers use the same fabric for curtains that upholstered furniture in the room, as well as covers and pillows. It looks very impressive.
Many people have found an alternative to curtains – blinds. Decorating windows with blinds becomes more relevant every year. They are easier and cheaper to care for than curtains. Of course, vertical blinds will look more aesthetically pleasing on the windows of a dwelling than horizontal ones. But in order for them to look proportionally in the room, you need to choose them correctly according to the width of the window. The vertical blinds also slide easily and fully open the window. This type of room decoration is more suitable for a spacious, light room with a small amount of furniture. Then the room will seem more neat and spacious.
Horizontal blinds are best used for office spaces, as they fit most into a business interior. Also, the use of this type of blind is the most effective way to protect from the sun indoors.
In general, in the modern world, the design of a room due to windows plays a very important role. And how to do it: using curtains or blinds – everyone’s business. The main thing is not to do anything superfluous, and then any room will look as it was originally intended.