The choice of curtains for the bedroom is not easy. Most of all, the difficulty lies in the fact that they must combine aesthetics and high functionality, as they imply daily use and harmony in the interior. The presence of bedspreads, pillows and floor coverings in the bedroom (at least a bedside rug) increases the requirements for color and texture characteristics. In order to choose the right curtains for the bedroom, you should familiarize yourself with the content of the proposed article.
- 1 Modern trends in window decoration in the bedroom
- 2 Curtains for bedrooms decorated in different styles
- 3 A variety of types of curtains in the bedroom: photos of interiors
- 4 The main ways of attaching curtains in the bedroom
- 5 Lightness and romance of the interior: tulle in the bedroom
- 6 Design of curtains for bedrooms with different colors
- 7 Curtains in a white bedroom: contrast or monochrome
- 8 A selection of photo curtains for bedrooms with a bay window
- 9 Advantages of using sets: curtains and bedspread for the bedroom in one fabric
- 10 Modern beautiful curtains in the bedroom of small sizes
- 11 Curtains in the bedroom: current novelties dictated by fashion
- 12 Lambrequin for the bedroom: an outgoing decor element or a modern decoration detail
- 13 How to choose curtains in the bedroom that will not disappoint
- 14 DIY curtains in the bedroom: tips for novice designers
Modern trends in window decoration in the bedroom
Changing the canons of fashion is not only happening for the sake of the appearance of new forms. To a large extent, it is caused by improvement, the desire for practicality, a reassessment of values, including aesthetic ones. Even the classic interior style will not be interesting without modern details.
The main point affecting the design features of modern windows in rooms is the tendency to increase them. Bedroom windows are no exception. Window openings with a large glazing area provide a lot of natural light, which cannot be fully replaced by any type of artificial lighting lamps. Also, quite often, panoramic windows are installed in the bedroom, that is, from ceiling to floor.
The design of the bedroom interior involves the creation of an intimate atmosphere and privacy in the room. Hence, curtains are an essential element. Their sizes, determined by the modern parameters of windows, are selected taking into account some interior features. Regardless of the design, curtains in the bedroom must meet the following requirements:
- Do not focus on yourself. Curtains should not be a single bright element, it is required that they be in harmony with other interior details.
- Do not overload the room with textiles. If the curtains are wide, it is better to use thin and soft fabrics that, when assembled, will not stand out in heavy warehouses.
- Have a significant amount of natural fibers in the material. Artificial canvas makes the interior cheaper.
Practicality, aesthetics and naturalness are the main characteristics that must be taken into account in modern window decoration with curtains.
Curtains for bedrooms decorated in different styles
The choice of style is a manifestation of taste, the possibility of combining internal content and external conditions. Even within the framework of one direction, it is necessary not to blindly follow its rules, but to try to realize personal preferences. It is the curtains that can become the tool with which you can bring the interior to the desired state. Photos of the design of curtain trends for the bedroom, posted on the Internet, clearly demonstrate how through canvases you can revive a room or, conversely, muffle the color of the room decoration with calm shades of window curtains.
The design features of the curtains are determined by the style decision. Models for a classic interior are distinguished by their sophistication, beauty of lines, and the presence of decorative elements. It is recommended to use colors that are already found in the interior for the manufacture of such curtains.
For the Provence style, products are selected from light fabrics. The design should be modest, the colors discreet. Natural folds, romance, airiness are typical for framing windows in this stylistic direction.
Curtains in a country interior suggest the presence of a pattern, and often quite large (the choice is determined by the size of the room – a large pattern will not work for small bedrooms). Lightweight, natural fabrics. Frills, ruffles, hooks can be an interesting addition.
The curtains for the bedroom in modern modern and high-tech styles are distinguished by functionality, simple cut and discreetness. An interesting option are models that have a solid canvas and the same color as the walls, visually being their continuation.
Helpful advice! If you want to decorate a high-tech window with colored curtains, you should use a fabric with a geometric pattern. Other options are categorically unacceptable for this type of interior.
Special requirements are imposed on the design of loft-style windows: maximum concentration on functionality, minimum interior expressiveness, light, light fabrics that do not create folds.
A variety of types of curtains in the bedroom: photos of interiors
Features of the layout of the premises and the design style used sometimes require careful selection of not only shades and decor, but also curtain models in general. The size of the windows, their location, the specifics of the functioning of the curtains for the bedroom largely determine the choice of the type of products. The range of models is very wide. The most popular modern options are:
- French curtains. They are suitable for both small window openings and panoramic windows. They are made of soft translucent monochromatic or nondescript fabrics. With the help of loops and vertical cords, the canvas is pulled together into soft, rounded folds.
- Austrian curtains. Recommended by designers for small, and most importantly – narrow windows. They are also collected in horizontal soft warehouses, but only in the lower part. The canvas can be plain or colored, but not variegated, the average density is most suitable.
- Roman curtains. In the bedroom, decorated with an emphasis on minimalism and practicality, they will be harmonious and comfortable. The fabric is preferable dense, made of natural threads. The web is collected in large, staggered warehouses.
- Japanese curtains. They consist of straight canvases made of dense fabric, often with a smooth surface, can be both colored and monochromatic. The main feature is a rigid bar at the bottom, which prevents the formation of wrinkles. The curtains move apart rather than open, more like a screen.
- Roller blinds. Ideal for small windows, which will appeal to supporters of minimalism. A dense fabric is wound on a roller. For such curtains, the opening level is easily fixed.
- Classic curtains. The most common option. The models consist of two fabrics opening in different directions. There is a wide variety of ideas for classic-format bedroom curtains, they are applicable to almost any style of decoration.
Helpful advice! When choosing a curtain model, you should pay special attention to the quality of the fabric. If, after washing, the canvas loses its shape, the aesthetics of the window design will change significantly.
The main ways of attaching curtains in the bedroom
An important point that contributes to the convenient use of curtains in the bedroom and increases their overall level of decorativeness is the fastening. Uneven warehouses, sagging parts, the need to pull, move the canvases, with additional efforts, contribute to a decrease in the level of comfort and aesthetics. There are several ways to attach curtains to eaves. Let’s consider the most commonly used fixing methods.
With ties. They are sewn to the upper edge of the curtains, they can be made not only from the main fabric, but also from ribbons, braids, etc. The ties are used both short, that is, ensuring the circumference of the cornice and knot, and long. The latter make it easy to adjust the length of the curtains, and bows add romance and sentimentality to the room. It is convenient to fix short curtains to the bedroom with ties. This mounting method visually increases the height of the window opening.
Using eyelets. Eyelet rings are inserted into the upper part of the canvases, a round cornice is threaded through the holes formed. This type of fastening is more suitable for dense fabrics. The curtains on the eyelets look very aesthetically pleasing, since the canvases have even and identical warehouses.
Threading through the drawstring. This mounting method is used for curtains made of soft and loose fabrics. Having made a small indent (10-12 cm) from the upper edge, a strip of fabric is sewn on the inside. A cornice is threaded into the resulting pocket. The resulting drawstring decorates the curtains. Warehouses with this type of hanging are light and pleasant.
Helpful advice! To fasten curtains with a drawstring, it is better to use curtain rods made of wood or plastic: the fabric glides over them better.
On rings and clothespins. The easiest option. The curtains are fixed with clothespins attached to the rings of the cornice. Such a fastening for curtains in a bedroom with a balcony is very suitable. It is very easy to pull back the curtain to open the balcony door unhindered.
Using curtain tape and cord. A ribbon is sewn to the upper edge of the curtain, through which a cord is threaded. Then the canvas is pulled together with a cord, matched to the size of the cornice. Many small air folds are formed. The curtain is fixed to the cornice by putting the cord on the hooks of the cornice.
When choosing an attachment, the density of the fabric is of great importance. As a universal option, you can only use rings and clothespins.
Lightness and romance of the interior: tulle in the bedroom
Windows that are inaccessible to prying eyes do not need to be covered with thick curtains. To decorate window openings, it is enough to hang curtains in the bedroom. This option has a number of undeniable advantages, especially if used in small rooms:
- the space visually increases;
- contributes to the maximum flow of natural light into the room;
- the room is given lightness, airiness.
Most often curtains are made of tulle. Tulle is a mesh fabric. It can have small (sometimes almost invisible) and large (mesh) cells. Fabrics are made from natural, synthetic and blended yarns. The surface is matte and glossy. Tulle can be white, colored, embroidered, with a uniform texture, etc.
Organza is used quite often. This is a thick synthetic yarn tulle. Differs in a wide variety of decorative design methods. Washes easily, does not wrinkle. Significant density allows you to protect the room from the scorching sun rays, while ultraviolet light does not affect the fabric.
More translucent types of tulle are mesh, muslin, voile. Photos of tulle for the bedroom, where the fabric is decorated with the help of styling, pickups, color combinations, represent real masterpieces of interior art.
Helpful advice! Designers recommend using two types of tulle: one should be used in the summer (organza), the other, more delicate and maximally transmitting natural light fluxes, in winter.
Design of curtains for bedrooms with different colors
It is impossible to overestimate the effect of the color of the room on the psyche. The choice of bedroom shades should be approached as deliberately as possible. Bright, noticeable colors can be pleasing to the eye for a short time, but constant contemplation causes irritation and even anxiety. Psychologists consider the use of pastel colors to be a classic color scheme for the bedroom interior. They promote relaxation, soothe, pacify.
Curtains play a significant role in creating the general color background of such rooms. They should not merge with the color of the walls, otherwise the room will become impersonal. For example, it is better to choose curtains for a beige bedroom 1-2 tones darker or lighter than the dominant shade. You can decorate with warehouses, grabs. Such a window will become a noticeable element of the interior, but will not be a separate area of the room.
The approach to choosing curtains for a gray bedroom should be completely different. So that the room as a whole is not dull, you should enliven the room with the help of window curtains. Depending on the interior, it is appropriate to decorate the window with canvases with a pattern, with a glossy surface, which must necessarily have a small number of elements of gray color or its shades. Decorating with frills, braid, lambrequins is acceptable. Vivid contrasts should be avoided. When decorating Scandinavian bedrooms, white and light gray curtains without artistic processing will become harmonious.
Psychologists do not recommend red for decorating bedrooms, but many prefer its shade – burgundy. The bedroom turns out to be warm, cozy, luxurious. The curtains in the burgundy bedroom should be identical to the main color of the decoration, and in this case you should experiment with shades very carefully. A dim one can darken a room, a brighter one can add unnecessary redness.
Helpful advice! It is worth using burgundy in the interior of square-shaped bedrooms. When applied in rectangular rooms, there is a feeling of being in a box. It is appropriate to decorate windows with a width of at least 150 cm with burgundy curtains. Small windows with such curtains visually decrease in size.
Curtains in a white bedroom: contrast or monochrome
White can be combined with any other color, but this rule is completely unacceptable for the design of residential premises. That is why there are many requirements for curtains in the interior of a white bedroom.
White is the name for a bedroom in which this color dominates, which means that the room has white walls and other interior details of the same color. Depending on how many of these elements are, the curtains can be colored or white. If there is a lot of white, then it is the window curtains that will bring lively notes. In this case, the shade of the curtains can be contrasting, but not bright, but deep, and also must be combined with other interior elements, such as flooring, upholstered furniture, wall panels, etc.
To enhance the feeling of cleanliness and airiness in the room, white canvases can also be used. Photos of beautiful curtains in the bedroom, characterized by warm whiteness, creating an atmosphere of lightness, will prompt interesting options for window decoration. Fabrics are used loose, soft, without contrasting decorative additions.
Bright curtains in a white bedroom can be the main decorative element of the interior. Therefore, it is very important that the fabric is selected with taste, the accent should be pleasant, not flashy.
If the bedroom area does not need any expressive addition or white enhancement, it is better to use curtains of soft and light pastel shades.
A selection of photo curtains for bedrooms with a bay window
The bay window area in the room, including the bedroom, is an additional footage, special lighting and decoration. Bay windows are a decoration in themselves, therefore it is necessary to choose the version of curtains so as not to spoil the interior. The functionality of the zone is of decisive importance. If a sleeping place is located there, some accents are made, if the area for work or reading is different.
Following the style, ensuring aesthetics and good functionality (unless the curtains are solely a decorative element) should be the main goals. The use of some design techniques will allow you to decorate the area without separating, but combining it with the main part of the room into a general interior design.
If there are piers between the windows of the bay window, it is better to use one cornice and a lambrequin along its entire length. Photos of bedrooms for viewing by those wishing to arrange windows in this way will prompt not only the type, shape of this decorative element, but also its optimal dimensions.
The curtains of the bay window are most often large canvases. In this regard, there may be a problem with the choice of color. The continuation of the shade available in the design conceals the danger of signs of monochrome. A significant difference can visually isolate the area. The problem of the complexity of the choice can be solved by green curtains in the bedroom. The shade should be chosen depending on the size of the zone: the smaller it is, the lighter the tone. Curtains can be combined with indoor plants, minor details of a similar color on pillows, bedspreads, wall decorative elements.
Helpful advice! For the bay window, you should not choose curtains made of fabrics with bright glossy surfaces. They “interfere” with the full perception of natural daylight streams.
Advantages of using sets: curtains and bedspread for the bedroom in one fabric
The modern industry produces ready-made sets for the bedroom – curtains and bedspreads. The set may also include decorative pillowcases. All elements are made from one fabric, which can be either plain or colored. Quite often, the bedspread is sewn onto a voluminous base, which gives the mattress part of the bed a visual splendor and softness.
The use of ready-made kits when decorating bedrooms has a number of advantages:
- the selection of textiles for one room is simplified;
- it is possible to pre-visualize these elements in the interior;
- decorative design in the same style makes the design exquisite;
- ready-made kits contribute to the laconicism of the interior.
Helpful advice! When purchasing a ready-made kit for decorating a bedroom, one should not forget that it should complement the interior, and not become a separate and independent component of it.
An interesting option for decorating a bedroom interior can be sets that include curtains and a blanket. They fit organically into the design of minimalist bedrooms. In addition to such sets, you can purchase tulle, and the curtains in the bedroom will acquire lightness, creating additional comfort in the room. Curtains and a blanket are not always made of a uniform fabric, but they have the same color shades and a general style of decoration.
Modern beautiful curtains in the bedroom of small sizes
To decorate a window in a bedroom with a small size, no special shapes or fastening methods are required. So that the room does not seem even smaller, so that the curtains for the bedroom do not overload the interior, certain requirements must be observed:
- it is better to choose one-color fabric for curtains, without prints, ornaments or other expressive patterns. An exception may be stripes, horizontal or vertical, depending on the deficit in height or area;
- when decorating, you should not use lush folds, as they largely absorb space;
- the cut of the curtains should be as simple as possible;
- it is appropriate to supplement a narrow window opening with a longer cornice;
- for two small windows on one wall, it is advisable to use one cornice.
Curtains made of light translucent fabrics can be an excellent option for small bedrooms. They do not visually burden the interior. Blinds in combination with tulle, light roman blinds are also applicable.
If it is difficult to choose an option on your own, you can view photos of the design of curtains for a small bedroom, posted on Internet sites. The ability to visually transfer the curtain model to the interior of your room will allow you to make the most correct choice.
Curtains in the bedroom: current novelties dictated by fashion
Even the most inveterate adherents of the classics should follow the fashion trends in the design of the premises. As for the curtains, there are changes in the form and decor, as well as in the quality of fabrics. The quality of the material affects not only the appearance of the products, but also their functionality.
Photos of new curtains in the bedroom can always be found on the Internet. Designers suggest replacing organza with tulle woven from threads of various thicknesses. The creation of knots on this fabric is an attempt to combine rusticism as a sign of naturalness and the ability of paintings to let air through due to rare weaving.
The use of a damask pattern on such curtains allows you to use the canvas not only in rustic design styles, but also in classic bedrooms.
Retains the position of the veil. The changes affected only the weaving method: not smooth threads are used, but structured ones, which significantly changes the design of a strict and regular mesh. Embroidery on the veil is actively used.
Looking through the recently posted photos of bedroom curtains, you can see a tendency towards a heavier bottom. On curtains, the effect is achieved by volumetric embroidery, on thick curtains – by lengthening the canvases (the lower part of the curtain lies on the floor).
The velvet, rejected for a number of reasons, is returning to the interiors. It is also presented in an updated form: a thinner base and a short nap.
Lambrequin for the bedroom: an outgoing decor element or a modern decoration detail
Everyone who seeks to create coziness and comfort in the premises of the living area faces the problem of thinking about the choice of how to decorate the window in the bedroom. Decor elements contribute to the interesting appearance of the window. Lambrequins are one of the most expressive details. Modern interior designers have different attitudes towards their use. Some consider the element obsolete, others give lambrequins more and more new forms.
If the word “lambrequin” is associated with a palace hall, it is worth looking at photos of modern design developments – and there will be no trace of patriarchal predisposition. This is an excellent design element that can serve more than just a decorative function.
If the curtains are attached to the ceiling cornice, and the lambrequin “occupy” the partition between the ceiling and the window opening, you can visually increase the height of the window, and therefore the room as a whole.
Modern curtains in the bedroom, decorated with lambrequins, bring soft solemnity and discreet luxury to the interior. The classic design of the bedroom without this decorative element is simply unfinished. Rigid lambrequins make the room neat, and the decoration of the window is refined.
How to choose curtains in the bedroom that will not disappoint
The choice of curtains for the bedroom is a pleasant procedure. This means the end of the renovation, to which the final touch remains to be added. Even if there was no renovation, replacing the curtains promises an interior update. So that the selected new curtains in the bedroom do not bring disappointment, it is better to use the following algorithm in the selection process:
- Measure the curtains correctly. It is better to do this after the cornice is already hung. During its attachment, nuances may arise that require a shift in position (for example, a brickwork seam).
- Determine how to hang curtains. The size of the canvases largely depends on this indicator.
- Choose a fabric of the appropriate color and decoration method. Even if the design was developed independently, it is better to view photos of the design options on the Internet. It may be appropriate to make adjustments or changes.
- Be sure to take into account the size of the folds (if any) and the degree of their sagging. The determination of the total length of the curtains depends on these characteristics.
- Study the composition of the fabric carefully and familiarize yourself with the recommended cleaning methods. This will prevent a decrease in the level of aesthetics during use.
Helpful advice! Before choosing curtains for the bedroom, it is worth determining their aesthetics both open and closed, so that later there is no feeling of dissatisfaction with their appearance.
DIY curtains in the bedroom: tips for novice designers
Ready-made curtains are often the same type of product. The choice of fabrics is much wider. You can order tailoring to professionals, but it is quite possible to do it yourself. The main condition is the presence of a sewing machine or access to it. Photos of curtains in the bedroom, offered by designers, will help you choose the desired option.
If there is no relevant experience, you should opt for simple cut models. It is necessary to take measurements, select and purchase fabric, cornice, accessories.
To avoid common mistakes when sewing curtains, you can use the following tips:
- When buying fabric, it is better to purchase a canvas with a margin of 5-7 cm (in addition to the seam allowances). You may want to lengthen the product. Even 1-2 cm in length has an impact on the overall aesthetics.
- It is more convenient to sew a natural canvas or with artificial additives. Stretch synthetic fabrics glide and the seam can be messy.
- If the fabric has a check or horizontal stripe pattern, the fold lines at the top and bottom should be perfectly straight. Even a small offset will be conspicuous.
- It is better to pre-iron and weld the folds – it is easier to sew this way.
- An easy option for decorating bedroom curtains is to use tape. Warehouses as a result of contraction are formed uniform, bow-shaped, in the form of puffs.
- It is better to install the sewing machine on a large surface so that the fabric does not hang down and there is no need to additionally support it.
Helpful advice! If you want to make your own curtains, but there is no way to sew, you can use an iron and duct tape for the fabric.
Decorative and aesthetic curtains will make the interior interesting and pleasant, but in no case should they interfere with the penetration of natural daylight into the bedroom. The combination of beauty and essential functionality is a must. Only the right curtains will create a comfortable atmosphere of privacy in the bedroom.