What wallpaper to choose in 2024? 9 trends and beautiful photos for inspiration! Oriental motifs, gradient and metallic — we tell you which wallpapers are in trend right now and choose the right ones.
Wall decoration takes up most of the space in the room and immediately attracts attention. It should be not only practical, but also beautiful. In addition, well-chosen colors and patterns can visually change the proportions of the room. In this article, we have collected the most beautiful wallpaper trends 2024: we tell you which design to choose and how to apply it in the interior. We also show beautiful ideas and photo examples.
Today you can find dozens of varieties of wallpapers in all price segments and for any task. Now the trend is environmental friendliness – consider this when choosing a material.
What fabrics are suitable:
- Paper. Inexpensive and basic option for budget repairs. The main advantages are low price and complete environmental friendliness, so they are suitable for bedrooms and children’s rooms. Of the minuses, this is not the most durable material that really does not like moisture, so it is better to choose a different type of coating for a kitchen or hallway.
- Vinyl. More durable and practical compared to the previous ones, they cost a little more. They consist of two layers with a base of non-woven or paper. The top layer is made of foamed or smooth vinyl. If you need to design a wet area, choose the second option – it does not allow moisture to pass through. Foamed vinyl has good breathability.
- Non-woven. They are made from compressed cellulose fibers, thanks to which they look like paper. But, unlike them, they are much stronger and are not afraid of moisture. They can be washed and dyed.
- Textile – expensive and capricious in care, but very elegant and beautiful canvases. They consist of several layers: the base is paper, then comes the fabric. Textile coverings collect a lot of dust, so you will have to clean them regularly, and they are also not suitable for wet areas. This is a beautiful option for a living room, bedroom, office or corridor.
- Glass fiber is a modern material that is made from durable glass threads. The coating is anti-vandal, durable and moisture resistant. It won’t grow mold or mildew. They are produced for painting, so you will not find ready-made patterns – but you can draw them yourself.
- Liquid – a novelty in the world of finishing materials, which is confidently gaining popularity. The coating comes in the form of a mixture and the texture is more like plaster than classic wallpaper. According to the technical characteristics, it is similar to fiberglass: it lasts a long time, is not afraid of moisture, and definitely will not become a breeding ground for fungus. And it is also produced for painting, so you can choose any color and, if you wish, make an artistic painting on the walls.
Beautiful Wallpaper trends 2024
Consider the brightest and most current wallpaper trends in 2024 with a photo in the interior.
This coloring has been confidently among the trends for several years now, and it can be safely included in the list of 2024. A gradient is a smooth transition from one color to another, which looks very nice on the walls. These can be both contrasting shades (yellow and blue, purple and red, black and white, etc.), as well as different tones of the same color: for example, from dark green to light or from mother-of-pearl to anthracite gray.
Gradient finishes are good because they look unusual, but at the same time not too flashy, so they are suitable for modern minimalist interiors. The color transition itself can be either almost imperceptible, or in the form of blurry stripes or, for example, large spots. Choose a design based on what visual effect you want to achieve. For example, vertical lines will make the room a little higher, horizontal lines will “push apart” the walls, diagonal ones will add dynamics to the space.
Does not lose its relevance and abstract print. Such wallpapers can be entered into almost any style, for which designers are very fond of them.
Abstract canvases are of two types: a bright and large drawing or a discreet low-contrast ornament. The first option is best used for local accent decoration, the second – for the design of all walls. Among the variety of printsnow in trend:
- Imitation of abstract paintings – stains and smudges of paint, wide strokes, etc.
- Graphics and sketches.
- Patterns of lines and dots.
- Laconic monograms and other stylized classical ornaments.
Floral wallpaper is not only the Provence style or associations with a grandmother’s house in the countryside. A floral ornament can create a completely different atmosphere (examples are in the photo below).
Considering which wallpapers will be trendy in 2024,among the floral patterns worth highlighting:
- Small flowers – suitable for romantic and delicate interiors in neoclassical, English or French style.
- Scandi motifs – as a rule, these are small non-contrasting drawings of leaves, berries and buds. They go well with light solid colors and simple furniture in any room, from the bedroom to the hallway.
- Large flowers – Bold and catchy, murals are most often used to decorate an accent wall in the living room, bedroom or dining area in the kitchen. This technique looks especially impressive in combination with a dark rich palette.
- Fruits and berries – “edible” ornaments are best suited for the kitchen and dining room in an apartment or country house.
- Greens – not only flowers belong to the floristic theme. It can also be laconic semi-abstract wallpaper with a pattern of green twigs, leaves, needles, etc.
- Tropical motifs – palm leaves, exotic fruits, creepers and ferns.
Fashion for the exotic is unlikely to pass in the near future, and oriental themes are especially popular in interior design. Particularly Japan and China.
Oriental wallpaper is a non-trivial and complex solution that imposes a certain responsibility. To fit them into the environment, you need to take into account every little thing: colors, combination with other finishes, furniture design, decor. The room should not look like a hall of an ethnographic museum, while it is important that the walls decorated “under the East” do not look foreign in the interior. The easiest way is to add some decor with similar themed ornaments or in the same style, diluting it with neutral decorations or furniture.
When choosing an oriental design pay attention to:
- A large plot print that does not repeat, but fills the entire surface, like a picture.
- Images of sakura and other native plants.
- Chinoiserie – various stylized Chinese ornaments.
Images of animals, birds and fish are another spectacular way to decorate the walls.
Consider current options:
- Exotic – tigers, jaguars, panthers, monkeys, giraffes, etc. A great option for an accent wall in a living room or creative workshop. It is best to complement such canvases with leather furniture, carpets, fur and wooden decor.
- Birds – from cockatoo parrots to a flock of cranes and graceful hummingbirds. Tropical theme will fit well in the dining room or kitchen, more restrained – in the bedroom.
- Marine theme – fish, jellyfish, whales and other inhabitants of the underwater world will look beautiful not only in the bathroom, but also, for example, in the living room.
- Children’s drawings – cute animals and birds on the walls will delight both girls and boys. You can use photo wallpaper to highlight one side of the room (for example, the playroom or the wall behind the bed) or choose a laconic stylized print.
To make a neutral interior more textured and interesting, canvases with a metallic effect will help.
A light sheen will enliven a restrained palette (especially if it is based on gray ), emphasize furniture and large decor. Typically, such models are produced in monochrome colors, most often black or graphite. To prevent dark walls from looking too gloomy, balance them with light details: floors, white ceilings, furniture and textiles. Another variant of the coating with a metallic effect is gold-plated threads on a plain background.
If you like story canvases, replace banal photo wallpapers or factory imitations of paintings with sophisticated and stylish graphics.
This category includes sketches, pencil sketches, graphics, murals, engravings and toiles. Most often, such drawings are made in black and white, it can also be a sepia effect. If the pattern is repetitive and non-contrasting, you can paste over the entire room with wallpaper. If this is an active and large plot print, use it as an accent. Combine with minimalist finishes and simple furniture in natural tones: black, gray, brown, white.
About what other wallpapers are now in trend, the general direction of modern design in itself speaks. First of all, this is a focus on minimalism, and it implies the absence of ornaments.
Therefore, simple plain wallpaper is more relevant than ever. But if even walls in a single shade seem too boring to you,they can be played with:
- A pronounced texture – voluminous threads on textile fabrics do not ripple in the eyes and do not violate the integrity of a calm monochrome interior, but they look very interesting upon closer examination.
- Imitation of textures – wood, stone, cement, metal, marble, brickwork and even tiles.
The geometric pattern is an ageless classic that will always remain relevant. The main advantage of this print is the ability to visually change the proportions of the room.
Stripes are especially good at this task: vertical ones will visually raise the ceiling, horizontal ones will make a narrow wall seem wider, diagonal ones will make the space larger.
In addition to classic prints (polka dots, stripes, cages),in the interior will look stylish:
- Patterns with optical effects, especially 3D.
- complex geometry.
- Figures based on hexagons and octagons.
- Stylized variants of basic geometric ornaments.