Consider how to beautifully design a zone in the area of work cabinets in the kitchen, using tile for a backsplash. Photos of tile options and its types are presented in this kitchen backsplash trends 2020.
Ceramic tile for a kitchen on a backsplash: features of the choice and design
- 1 Kitchen Backsplash Tile Trends 2020
- 2 Choosing Kitchen Backsplashes
- 2.1 What should be the kitchen backsplash?
- 2.2 What tile to use for a backsplash in the kitchen?
- 2.3 Ceramic tile for backsplash
- 2.4 Boar Tile
- 2.5 Mosaic in a kitchen backsplash
- 2.6 Photo tile in the interior of the kitchen
- 2.7 Rules for choosing tiles for a backsplash
- 2.8 How many tiles do you need to buy for a backsplash?
- 3 The best examples of backsplash design with photos
- 4 Backsplash trends for the kitchen of ceramic tiles
- 5 Kitchen backsplash tiles 2020
- 6 Ceramic tile for a kitchen backsplash
- 6.1 Why tiles are suitable for finishing a kitchen backsplash
- 6.2 What tiles for finishing a kitchen backsplash should you choose
- 6.3 Methods for laying ceramic tiles when arranging a backsplash
- 6.4 Building materials and tools used when laying tiles on a backsplash
- 6.5 What preparatory work is needed before arranging the backsplash
- 6.6 Stages of all tile installation work
- 6.7 Important nuances and subtleties of work
- 7 Types, options and laying rules
- 7.1 Pros and cons of tiles for a kitchen backsplash
- 7.2 Types of glossy and matte ceramic backsplash tiles
- 7.3 Types of glass tiles
- 7.4 Types of stone and porcelain tiles
- 7.5 Standard backsplash tile formats
- 7.6 Color and decor of tiles for a kitchen backsplash
- 7.7 New backsplash tiles from popular manufacturers
- 7.8 What to look for when buying backsplash tiles
- 7.9 How to calculate the area of a kitchen backsplash
- 7.10 How to lay out a backsplash from a tile in the kitchen with your own hands – the nuances
- 7.11 Where is it profitable to buy tile for the kitchen on the backsplash – price overview
- 7.12 Photos of interesting tile backsplash design options
Varieties of backsplah tiles
For sale today offered a huge number of different types of tile material for wall cladding.
A special niche is occupied by products for the kitchen backsplash area. They are made from the following materials:
- artificial and natural stone.
Appearance of material:
- with glazed, matte, embossed, mirror surface;
- square, rectangular, mosaic shape, look like rectangular bricks with cut edges;
- with a plain, ornament or pattern surface, as well as a photo plot or in the form of a panel.
Let’s learn more about each type of these products, and then select the tile that is most suitable for the style of your kitchen.
Everyone has a ceramic sign. This is a classic material that has been used for a long time. It is produced by pressing or extrusion from a mixture of clay and sand.
The classic sizes of square ceramics: 10×10 cm, 20×20 cm and rectangular – 20×30 cm. The thickness of the products is 3-4 mm.
The modern design of the tiles used for the backsplash is diverse: from a palette of color shades, textured surface, decor to products with photo printing. This gives scope for imagination for designers.
Particularly impressive look products with imitation under the skin, wood or stone. Tile backsplashes made using large format printing with a bright, clear image give the kitchen space an exclusive look.
A novelty of ceramic products is small rectangular clinker products having a small facet at the edges.
They are produced using special technology, which provides products with high strength. Bricks can have both an aged look, and can be made in the form of glazed snow-white elements.
The image from the ceramic, laid out in the form of a panel, which can have a different plot, looks exclusively and effectively.
The classic design is the kitchen theme with the image of fruits, pastries, dishes and other items.
For cladding, it is recommended to use it with a smooth glazed surface, it is easier to care for, because it absorbs less fat and wet fumes.
A backsplash made of mosaic looks spectacular with massive expensive furniture. This facing material is often made by hand.
Materials are: ceramics, glass and other natural products. Mosaic can have many color shades, different shape and surface structure. Therefore, it is easy to choose for any interior style.
You can stack elements according to a pre-compiled drawing scheme, or you can in a chaotic manner using your creative abilities. Thanks to this, you can lay out a unique mosaic pattern.
With the help of mosaic elements, spectacular panels and bright ornaments are often laid out, sometimes it is even used to create a photo plot. Such zones serve as an independent design element and are a work of art.
Glass tile is a relatively new finishing product, represented by a huge selection of designer designs.
For its manufacture mainly tempered glass triplex is used. The color or pattern is applied from the inside. The front surface is smooth, matte or have a relief.
The design can be transparent, matte, natural stone, wood, textile or metal. Glass products can be made in various shapes and sizes. For mosaic small elements, glass is most often used.
In modern design, glass with photo printing looks spectacular.
Looks great photo printing
The advantage of glass material is its resistance to aggressive environments and environmental safety.
However, you need to remember the tendency of the glass surface to scratches, so care must be taken with caution without the use of abrasive materials.
These surfaces must be very carefully maintained so as not to scratch.
Mirror tiles are most often a type of glass. It is made of impact-resistant glass, the front side of which is coated with silver amalgam.
Ceramic and polystyrene tiles with a reflective coating are also produced.
They are varieties of mirror tile products, but the composition of their metallized coating does not provide the same reflectivity as that of glass mirrors coated with silver amalgam.
- By the nature of the edge processing. They can be polished, matte, as well as with cut edges.
- In shape, dividing into square, rectangular, border (narrow stripes), triangular, diamond-shaped, in the form of mosaics and others.
- According to the color palette there are silver, with a touch of bronze, gold, graphite and many shades of natural colors.
- According to the design of the surface, which can be: with a pattern in the form of an ornament, an abstract pattern, applied by sandblasting or using thermal printing, as well as simply plain.
The mirror shine of the backsplash fits perfectly into high-tech or modern styles, emphasizing the brilliance of kitchen furniture fittings.
The mirror mosaic backsplash is well suited for loft style. It looks especially chic from mosaics assembled from elements of different shapes and sizes.
Mirrored looks impressive, but requires thorough care. On the mirror surface, even the smallest fat droplets, traces of dried water are very clearly visible.
Wipe this surface regularly with a damp soft cloth. On the desktop there should be no unnecessary kitchen items, so as not to create a feeling of clutter when reflected.
Made of artificial stone
The use of artificial stone for facing is now very fashionable. Tiled materials made of artificial stone look modern and noble.
They are often used in the decoration of such interior styles as loft or provence.
For the production of artificial stone using technology:
- using concrete mix with additives of natural chips;
- using composite materials (polyester resins with the addition of crumbs of natural components and coloring pigments for maximum similarity to natural stone).
Products are made under marble, basalt, granite or sandstone.
For a backsplash, porcelain stoneware is also used, which is often referred to as a variety of ceramic tiles.
But the technology of its production brings this material as close as possible to a natural stone created in nature.
It is made by pressing at high temperature a mixture of white clay, quartz sand, spar and natural dyes.
In appearance it has significant differences from ceramic products, although it also happens to have a smooth polished surface, matte, embossed, resembling wood, natural stone, fabric or leather.
The surface can be either smooth, matte or embossed.
Such a variety of surfaces opens up unlimited space for designers.
Implementation of artificial stone from products:
- Slabs representing larger slabs that retain the shape of a natural stone pattern. Finishing with slabs is considered the most spectacular;
- stone tiles of rectangular or square shape, reminiscent of ordinary ceramics, which, when the elements are joined, form seams;
- a mosaic representing blocks of small tiles connected by one base.
The disadvantage of artificial stone is its instability to ultraviolet radiation. Also, it reacts poorly to temperature changes.
It is especially necessary to protect it from the effects of hot objects: pots, pans and other kitchen utensils, because they can leave marks on the surface in the form of matte spots.
To preserve the appearance of the artificial stone and its protection on the surface, it is recommended to periodically apply special protective agents or cover it with colorless varnish.
For protection, can be coated with a clear varnish.
Stone cladding can have a lot of different design decisions using different styles.
For example, for the classical style can be used with imitation marble, onyx or granite, for the baroque style – stone under malachite. Porcelain tiles well support the Provence or country style.
Designer’s Tips: How to Choose a Design
Even if you are familiar with all the variety that you can use when decorating a kitchen backsplash, before choosing it, you need to think through the design of this area, taking into account the advice of designers:
- If the surface should only complement the kitchen furniture, then you need to choose a neutral design.
- If the backsplash should become a bright central spot of the kitchen, then in the design you can use photo printing, colorful mosaics, panels and other options for colorful design.
- When choosing a bright colorful design, it is necessary to provide its support with interior elements of the kitchen that do not compete with it, but harmoniously complement it. It is good if the worktop is combined in color shades.
- A tile of bright colors is best used in the design of a large kitchen space; for small kitchens, designers advise using a backsplash design in calm pastel colors.
- Tiles of small sizes visually increase the area, large sizes, on the contrary, narrow the space.
Having studied the characteristics and design examples of the kitchen backsplash area, you can design this space, armed with the advice of designers.
Tile for the kitchen on a backsplash located above the work area should have a number of specific qualities, because it performs not only a decorative function, but also a protective, as well as hygienic one. We offer readers to get acquainted with the types of tiles, find out the basic rules for its selection and gluing to the wall.
What should be the kitchen backsplash?
The need to protect the walls around the work area in the kitchen is obvious. Work with vegetables (especially beets), hot fat and oil, meat and fish is fraught with spots. It is almost impossible to get them out of wallpaper or on a painted surface.
Ceramic tile for the backsplash in the kitchen is an excellent protection against any kind of dirt. In addition, this coating serves as a reliable barrier to moisture – a constant companion of cooking.
Usually, tiles in the kitchen were laid over the entire surface, but with the advent of modern furniture sets with cabinets and hanging cabinets, the need to cover the entire wall disappeared. Manufacturers offered special sets of ceramic tiles specifically for the backsplash in the kitchen.
- high strength
- impervious to moisture;
- a special surface that is easy to wash.
However, you can make backsplashes for the kitchen from tiles of the usual type, but then you need to select it taking into account the qualities described above.
What is the area on the wall should cover? Experienced designers recommend filling the space between the cabinets and hanging cabinets so that the tiles on the kitchen backsplash go beyond the edge of the furniture by 10-15 centimeters. In the place where the hood is attached above the stove, the coating is mounted so that the wall is completely covered with tiles from the edge of the hob to the edge of the hood. Note that for gas stoves, the minimum distance between the stove and the ventilation system is at least 80 centimeters.
The length of the tile backsplash in the kitchen is usually equal to the length of the furniture. Some designers protect elements of the overall design of the entire room. Therefore, the tile either continues along the walls, or is introduced as a decorative element into other finishing materials.
What tile to use for a backsplash in the kitchen?
To decorate the wall near the working surface, different types of finishing materials are used:
- ceramic tile;
- “boar” type tiles;
- photo tile.
Tiles and boars are usually selected in cases where the owners want to present furniture favorably. In this case, the kitchen backsplash made of tiles plays the role of a background that emphasizes the shape and color of cabinets and cabinets.
Mosaic panels create a dynamic pattern designed to revive the design of the kitchen. At the same time, designers do not recommend using more than four colors in combination. These colors should be from the same color scheme. Contrast combinations will hurt the eyes and be annoying.
A photo tile is used if the backsplash in the kitchen is an element of decoration. This facing material is characterized by its pattern, common to the entire panel. Therefore, when choosing an image, you need to consider how it will be combined with furniture and other elements of decoration in the room.
All these types of tiles have one thing in common: their surface must be smooth. Then dust, dirt, grease and oil will not accumulate, and the surface can be easily cleaned at the end of the cooking process.
Ceramic tile for backsplash
In addition to the usual square-shaped tile, manufacturers also offer rectangular tiles of different sizes.
The disadvantages of this type of coating for a kitchen backsplash include the so-called “joint problem”. In the space between the tiles filled with porous grout, over time, dirt, grease, juice of vegetables and fruits accumulate. Washing the tiles, the hostess can not clean the seams. This problem can be solved by using special compositions based on epoxy resin instead of regular grouting.
Such a solution increases the cost of the work, and this is another minus of ceramic tile.
However, this material has so many positive qualities that the above disadvantages are lost against their background.
Firstly, the cost of ceramic tiles is such that they can fit into any budget. Secondly, any master who does not even have skills will cope with the work. Thirdly, the variety of colors, colors and patterns allows the use of tiles in any design, from high-tech to country and ethnic.
Other advantages of ceramic tiles include:
- practicality – it is easy to wash and clean it with chemical agents;
- durability – tile for a backsplash in the kitchen will last up to 20 years;
- moisture resistance – the coating prevents water from contacting the ceramic base.
All this makes tile a popular material that is used on a kitchen backsplash made of tiles.
Outwardly, it resembles ordinary rectangular ceramic bricks. Some types of such tiles have beveled chamfers and rounded corners. The main disadvantage of masonry is that there are rather wide seams between the tiles. The epoxy grouts described above help to cope with this.
In addition, special types of tiles are produced, which are called rectified. Their edges are cut so that the distance between the tiles is minimal (no more than 2 mm).
“Boar” allows you to make the kitchen design more comfortable, in addition, a rectangular shape visually increases the space in the room.
But not only this is the advantage of this type of finishing materials. It is easy to look after, from tiles you can lay out a beautiful pattern or create an imitation of an old brick wall.
In addition to traditional colors, manufacturers offer tiles of different colors, even with a photo picture. Thanks to this, kitchen backsplash tile looks more diverse. This extends the scope of the “boar” and allows designers to use the material in different styles of kitchen design.
Mosaic in a kitchen backsplash
The disadvantages of this type of finishing materials for a kitchen backsplash include the complexity of the work. Many small parts complicate the job. But this minus has been eliminated by manufacturers who have established the production of tiles fixed on paper sheets or on a grid. In addition, large-sized tiles with a mosaic coating are available.
Due to the flexibility of the substrate, the mosaic pattern can be applied to any surface, including protrusions and depressions. Thus, you can trim the space in which there are technological niches.
The disadvantage of this type of finishing materials is the higher cost compared to ceramic tiles or “boar”. In addition, more consumables are required to stick to the wall and grind joints. This minus can be corrected using tiles with imitation mosaics, which is an undoubted advantage.
The advantages of mosaic coating are also:
The latter is achieved due to the fact that the surface of the tile is smaller than the standard, and accidental impact does not split the coating, although it can leave a mark on the surface.
In addition, small tiles allow you to create a bright pattern that will add dynamism to the design of the kitchen, make it more interesting and bright.
Photo tile in the interior of the kitchen
This very interesting solution has a major drawback – the high price. Flattered by the low cost, the owners of the kitchen can as a result after a while see that the picture has faded.
Such a surface needs special care. Conventional chemicals will not work, they can harm the image.
But the tile pattern will make the kitchen unique. The owners of the house can choose any image that complements the design of the room.
The photographic tile for the backsplash in the kitchen is created on the basis of ceramics, so all the basic qualities of this material are inherent in it. With proper care and proper operation, such a finish will reliably protect the working surface and will last for many years.
When buying this type of material, designers recommend choosing a pattern so that it harmonizes with the basic colors of furniture and other interior items. You can create combinations of photo tiles and ordinary tiles that will complement each other and make the design of the backsplash in the kitchen bright and dynamic.
Rules for choosing tiles for a backsplash
In order for the wall decoration around the work area to be not only reliable, but also beautiful, you need to follow a few simple rules.
The kitchen and work area is an aggressive environment for all types of ceramics. Therefore, when buying, you should choose a coating that:
- protected against chemicals;
- withstand loads;
- resistant to abrasion;
- It has a smooth finish.
The latter is important, because during cooking, the walls get vegetable and fruit juice, fat and oil, the blood of animals and fish. With a smooth surface, all this is much easier to remove than with corrugated.
Special symbols-pictograms will help you choose the right tile. They are applied to the packaging to facilitate the purchase process. The image of the flask speaks of chemical resistance, the diagrammatic representation of diamond about hardness, and the picture of a circular saw about stability.
You need to buy materials so that they are enough. The fact is that in different batches the shade of the surface may not coincide, and if you have to buy tiles, it will differ from the existing one.
Large tiles will not look good in a small kitchen. They will create a visual dissonance that will irritate the inhabitants of the house and guests. In addition, the small kitchen set due to the large tiles will seem even smaller.
How many tiles do you need to buy for a backsplash?
Having decided on the type of coating, you need to calculate the amount of materials. Experienced craftsmen recommend making calculations by the piece, and not by surface area. This will be more accurate, and unnecessary expenses can be avoided.
To do this, you first need to calculate the dimensions that the backsplash will take. First, determine the number of tiles in a horizontal row. To do this, the total length of the plot is divided by the length of the tile. The result is rounded up and add another 2-3 units in reserve.
According to the same scheme, the number of units is determined vertically, also with a margin.
At the same time, it is recommended to adjust the dimensions of the backsplash to the exact dimensions of the masonry, so that you do not have to cut the tile.
This scheme is suitable for cases when the owners of the house selected a horizontal type of laying. With the diagonal way of arranging the tile, calculations are best done based on the total area that the backsplash will occupy on the wall.
It is important to remember that near the stove and the hood, the dimensions of the masonry are larger than in other protection areas. Therefore, for this zone, it is better to do the calculation separately.
The amount of grout for joints can be determined using the on-line calculator on specialized sites or by the formula. The sum of the length and width of the tile is divided by the product of the same numbers. The result is multiplied by the thickness of the tile and the width of the seam, and the resulting number is multiplied by a coefficient of material consumption of 1.6.
For example, for a 10×10 cm tile with a thickness of 4 mm and a joint width of 3 mm, the result will be as follows: (100 + 100/100 x 100) x 4 x 3 x 1.6 = 0.384 kg per 1 square meter of coverage area.
Knowing all these subtleties, everyone will be able to choose the right material for their kitchen and create reliable protection for the walls from fat and other products of the cooking process.
Let’s take a closer look at the pluses and possible options for laying out the tiles on the working area.
Earlier, we already discussed which backsplash for the kitchen is better and an interesting article was published. Now let’s take a look at the advantage of tiles for finishing a work area:
- Excellent resistance to moisture – in the kitchen something is constantly washing and boiling, water flies in different directions, but there is nothing for the tile!
- Immune to temperature changes – being a product that has passed through extremely high temperatures, the tile is not afraid of any heat loads.
- Does not absorb fat and dyes – this is extremely important, because the kitchen work area must have such quality.
- Good strength and durability – with high-quality styling and normal use, it can last for decades.
- A wide range of possible color solutions – in the catalogs of manufacturers there are thousands of various models for absolutely every taste and in any price category.
- It looks good in composition with other finishing materials: natural stone, brick, wood.
- Relative ease of installation.
If you are interested in domestic tiles, we recommend that you look at a review of manufacturers of Russian ceramic tiles, which also show their official catalogs.
Next, you will be offered photos of examples of various types of tile backsplashes in kitchens, which are made in modern and classic styles.
This type of facing of the working area can be found in every second kitchen in our country.
Noteworthy here is the laying out of plain and medium-sized tiles using standard laying techniques. Such a backsplash looks simple and reliable, and is also the most budgetary and universal option.
Such a calculation requires a basic ability to handle tiles, as well as a clear understanding of the scope of work. Here are some illustrative photo examples and solutions.
As you can see, even with the simplest layout and without elaborate tiles, the backsplash looks beautiful and reliable. Let’s see how you can make a working wall, using more original and complex types of ceramic tiles in installation.
This type is a ceramic or glass tile of small sizes. Due to its small size with the help of mosaics, you can lay out a wide variety of patterns and ornaments.
A backsplash designed in this way is perfect for small kitchens or for decorating a large area of the work area.
To lay out a backsplash from a mosaic on your own, you will need considerable experience in this area. Moreover, due to its miniature size, the mosaic costs an order of magnitude more expensive than larger models.
In this regard, it is recommended to contact professional tilers, so as not to worry about the final result and the money spent on the tile.
Often you can find classic mosaic ornaments in which there are only 3-4 colors. You can also lay out patterns of trees, fruits, animals. The play of colors of these little elements is simply mesmerizing.
A relatively new type of ceramic tile. Its remarkable feature is its appearance – rectangular tiles with a small facet. There are two types of manufacturing methods: one tile — one brick or several small “boars” on medium-sized tiles.
More information and photos can be seen in our review of the boar tile.
The result of laying out with such a tile is pleasing to the eye. It creates at the same time a classic, but at the same time very modern and original pattern of decorative bricks with fatset, which has a pleasant aesthetic effect.
Laying this type of tile also requires professional skills, especially with regard to the formation of external and internal corners.
The most common is a monochromatic “wild boar”. But there are examples with various kinds of inscriptions and patterns.
“Boar” is best suited for the design of small work areas in kitchens of small and medium sizes.
Another example of laying a backsplash for the kitchen with a small tile.
The main feature of this style is the formation of a central or several compositions, drawings, images. The panel can be laid out as a regular tile, or a special mosaic, as well as arranging different types of tiles.
Common ornaments are images of animals, fruits, landscapes.
As can be seen from the photos, the main drawing of the kitchen panel, as a rule, is laid out under the hood. It looks very nice if the hood is made in the form of a specially laid out or cut out box.
Backsplash style trends
Manufacturers of ceramic tiles for the kitchen regularly update their product catalogs and can offer you other, no less interesting colors and shapes.
For example, imitation stone or brick.
If you like the texture of the tree – this is not a problem either.
As already mentioned above, by far the most fashionable among backsplashes made of tiles are work areas made of “boar”.
You can read more about new trends in kitchen interior design in our review of modern ideas for kitchen design.
Arriving at the salon of ceramic tiles or browsing its range on the Internet, you can miss some important points. Especially often this happens to people who are faced with their first repair.
We will provide some practical tips that you should consider before and after buying a tile:
- Be sure to order tiles slightly larger than the calculated area. There is a rule: the larger the tile, the more trim will be, and vice versa. This is especially true for laying tiles diagonally. Order 8-10% more and you don’t have to worry about potential difficulties in purchasing.
- Remember that if you need to buy additional tiles, you may encounter two main problems.
The first is the lack of the model you need or the extremely long waiting period for its delivery from abroad.
Second, you can buy the ceramic tile you need, but it will already be in a different production series and may differ in color by some kind of micro tone. This can be a critical moment, especially in large areas.
- The smaller the tile, the more expensive the work of laying it. Laying a mosaic or panel will cost 3-5 times more expensive than working with larger tiles.
- Quality control – carefully inspect the batch of tiles that were delivered to you for any chips, cracks, scuffs, or manufacturing defects.
- Choose a tile by viewing photos in catalogs, brochures or on the Internet, but order only after you see it live. This is due to the fact that the color of printing images of tiles in magazines almost always differs from its natural, real color.
- The smaller the kitchen, the less tiles should be on the backsplash. One of the golden rules for designing a work area.
- Consider the type of lighting – the same tile will look different in warm and cold light. Try to persuade the seller to provide you with bail samples for several hours. In large ceramics salons, this is often practiced.
We hope that the photos presented above, you were able to see possible options for how to design a backsplash in the kitchen from tiles and tiles, as well as decide on the arrangement of the entire working area.
The interior consists not only of furniture and any accessories (read also about its choice here). Ceilings, floors, walls (considered here) are also directly related to the decor. Especially you will have to think carefully about the wall decor in the bathroom and in the kitchen, since there you can’t paste the wallpaper and you won’t do anything special with the walls.
Many materials will not pass the test associated with temperature extremes. It’s good that there is a great alternative to wallpaper – this is tile. You can’t even imagine how she is able to transform the room: to make it not just beautiful, but individual, designer.
Let’s find out what needs to be done so that it is combined with the kitchen set, does not fall off and makes you happy every day.
The basis of the backsplash for the kitchen
We are talking about tiles, but it is worth mentioning, after all, other materials that can be used.
- Glass is a serious competitor, excellent qualities, but installation requires experience, is expensive.
- A mirror is a one-piece panel that is very demanding to care for. If you love order and are ready to spend 15-30 minutes every day, wiping it from grease and dirt, this option is right for you. On the other hand, if the room is small, the mirror will increase the space.
Attention! On our site earned online 3D designer kitchen. You can get acquainted with it and design your dream kitchen here for free!
- Mosaic – without a doubt, this is a creative and vivid choice of material. But this option is time consuming and long. Over the years, grease and dirt can clog between mosaics. To avoid this, you need to buy a more expensive grout.
- MDF + plastic – it will pleasantly surprise you with its price, good appearance, you can make a beautiful design. Moisture resistance at a low level, inferior to tile in durability.
- Particleboard + plastic is easy to install and easy to clean, otherwise this option is not profitable to buy, because it will deteriorate quickly, and you will have to purchase chipboard or more expensive and high-quality material again. Good options can come out of it.
- Polycarbonate – will help you a lot if you need to hide the wallpaper (how to choose it was said here), since this material is transparent. There are cons: if dirt gets between it and the wallpaper, it will be noticeable. Over time, it loses transparency, looks cheap.
- Artificial stone is one of the highest quality and most durable options. The high price is justified, there is a restoration function: if an artificial stone is scratched, it can be increased, and it will become as good as new.
- Metal – metal color is considered cold and uncomfortable, but if you combine metal and dark brown harmoniously, your eye will not be torn off.
- Tile – we will discuss a backsplash in this execution. This material stands in the middle between glass (described here), artificial stone, particleboard and MDF. Installation will cost inexpensively, if installed by yourself. In this case, do not take it under the mosaic. You have to prepare the wall well, otherwise it will look ugly, and it will not last long. Ceramics will last you 15–20 years, and therefore, choosing, think: “But will she bother me tomorrow?”. Easy to wash.
Varieties of tiles
- Tile (ceramics) – the composition includes clay rocks, sand, quartz and mica.
- Clinker – considered durable, used to simulate natural stone.
- Porcelain tile – has low porosity, is suitable for rooms with a large load. It can imitate granite, marble, brick, stone and even leather.
- Concrete – more suitable for sidewalks.
Photographic tile is a new technological type of decor. This opportunity allows you to come up with your own design, which no one has. High-quality and bright photo printing, it is possible to choose a finished photo tile. According to its properties, it does not differ from ceramic. Ideas for photo printing can be found in the shooter bank. It presents numerous photographs and pictures for printing.
How to choose ceramic tile for a backsplash? Selection tips
I want to follow the fashion, make a stylish decor, so that no one else has this. Many have such thoughts, let’s go through the basic rules when choosing.
The first thing to consider is the color, it must coincide with the kitchen set or harmoniously combine with it. Great example in this photo:
In the right colors, it will act positively on you psychologically.
- Hides a bare wall.
- Creates a certain atmosphere, complementing the decor of the entire room.
Various color schemes of a beautiful kitchen backsplash made of tiles
- Red – want dynamics, energy and positive emotions? Then choose a white tile and a red kitchen. Of the minuses – quickly tired, causes aggression, too intrusive.
- Yellow (in more detail) – arouses appetite, fills with energy. It will be the highlight of your kitchen.
- Blue is cold and calm, which simultaneously calms and invigorates.
- White – beneficial effect on all family members, calms and pacifies. Practical properties include the fact that it visually expands the space. Minus – causes a hospital feeling, so it is better to combine it with others.
- Black – associated with style, fashion. It produces a positive effect, but you should not rush into a choice. In the store and in the picture – this is one thing, but seeing the black kitchen every day is different. It can suppress and agitate aggression. If you combine, for example, white with black, it will be very stylish.
- Pink is very bright, playful. Gives unreality in large quantities. Soon tired, start to annoy.
- Orange – will warm you every morning. An orange tile or a large orange on the entire wall will arouse appetite, but such a bright color can also soon get bored.
- Violet (read also this publication) is a very deep color, mysterious, in combination with gold, silver or black, looks original and unobtrusive.
- Green (more info here) – enters the league of bright colors. It can be twofold: give energy and oppress, so you do not need to make the kitchen and backsplash only in green, it is better to add a milder shade, for example, gray. Good for the kitchen and olive shade.
- Gray – symbolizes wisdom, calm, but he is dull and boring. It is necessary to dilute the color with bright shades, you can experiment with red, purple, green, and lay the backsplash with a photo tile.
- Brown – cozy and calm, you can combine with many colors, both bright and calm.
Here are some little secrets to keep everything perfect:
- To design a backsplash, do not buy porous non-ceramic materials. In the pores, accumulation of grease and dirt is possible; washing will not be easy.
- The most universal color in the interior is white, but preferably in combination with brighter shades, for example, yellow, green, red.
- A catchy backsplash should always be perfectly clean, otherwise the whole look will be irreparably damaged.
- If the budget is small, but you want to buy expensive material, then there is the opportunity to save on installation work and make a backsplash for the kitchen with your own hands.
- Ceramic tiles are perfect for this.
To arrange a beautiful working area in the kitchen is the dream of any housewife. Often it is created using ceramic tiles. It is practical and very convenient, since dirty plaque is easily washed off from it. It looks aesthetically pleasing; just look at the photo of the tile on the backsplash to make sure of a wide variety of choices.
Which tile to choose
To ensure ease of kitchen cleaning, you should choose a tile with a smooth surface. It is easier to wipe dust and greasy deposits from it than from a relief surface. Modern backsplash kitchen tile designs offer 3D surround decors. They look attractive, but the process of leaving is very laborious, and will take a lot of energy.
Ceramic with a shiny surface visually expands the space. Although oil and grease stains will be more visible on the gloss, it is easier to wash. Ceramics with a glossy surface can be called a classic of any kitchen.
White tile on the backsplash opens up the possibility for designer imagination. It can be varied with any mosaic or decorated with drawings.
Monotony of white color is diluted with bright tiles. Thus, a color contrast is created on the working facade. If desired, the backsplash is made in neutral tones, choosing tiles to match the color of the kitchen. So it will be less noticeable.
To achieve practicality in the decoration will help beige and brown shades of flowers. On such tiles dirty marks are less noticeable than on classic white and dark colors. Looks good kitchen backsplash made of tiles with a stone pattern. The dried droplets of water, and other pollution, are inconspicuous on it.
How to buy a tile
Choose ceramic tiles on the backsplash with a protective coating. It will protect its surface from chemical attack that comes from detergents. When buying a tile, you need to pay attention to the symbol “A”, or “AA”. Such protection will withstand any chemical attack.
At the stages of tile production, it is fired. This leads to a change in color tone. Each batch of the same ceramic may differ in color saturation. Therefore, before buying, you should check the color coding of all packages.
How to choose a backsplash design
There are many options for facing. We list the most popular types of laying tiles on a backsplash:
- Traditional styling;
- Stacking with offset;
- Laying diagonally;
- Chess order;
- Linear laying;
How many tiles will it take
Masters are advised to purchase tiles with a slight excess. It all depends on the ceramic laying format. A simple method does not require a large number of tile sections. Therefore, the stock at purchase should be from 5% to 10%. With a more complex format, the excess should be at least 15%.
You need to know that the packaging may contain part of the defective ceramics. The percentage of marriage is especially noticeable on cheap tiles. For subsequent repairs, they also make a small supply of tiles.
Brick backsplash cladding
Tile boar backsplash has recently become very popular. It resembles a rectangle in shape, and its edges have a slight bevel. The appearance of the tile is similar to a brick.
Creates the effect of visual expansion of the kitchen, and fits any style. Its proportions have many options, from 7.5X15cm to 15X45cm. The color tones of the tiles are also varied.
Typically, such a tile is laid in plain color. It has a smooth glossy surface, and color saturation can be bright, or a simple white color.
Sometimes a backsplash with brick tiles is printed. The images can be the simplest – berry, fruit, cereal, it all depends on personal preferences.
How to choose size
To lay the tiles on the backsplash at a minimum cost, you need to pay attention to the height and width of the ceramics. It should be equal to the size of the kitchen workspace. In this case, you will need to cut the tile less.
The height of the backsplash in the kitchen usually does not exceed 50-60 cm. Calculate the size of the ceramics should be slightly larger so that its edges are above the cabinets, and below the tables. In the area of the plate, the space of the backsplash expands. This must be considered so that there is no lack of tiles.
A kitchen backsplash is an important element that performs not only an aesthetic role, but also reliably protects the wall from external adverse effects. This means that its arrangement should be taken with all seriousness.
To finish this working area, it is necessary to choose high-quality material that can withstand dust, moisture, hot steam, and dirt. It should also be easy to wash and not lose its external characteristics over time.
Bright backsplash, a small bright and comfortable kitchen.
Ceramic tiles cope well with this task, which can already be safely called a classic version of wall decoration. In order for the tile backsplash to last for a long time, it is necessary not only to be able to choose high-quality material, but also to correctly install it on the surface of the working area.
Why tiles are suitable for finishing a kitchen backsplash
Tile is considered one of the most reliable materials for covering floors and walls. It is resistant to dirt and easy to wash, so tiles are often preferred when decorating rooms with high humidity.
Using the tile, you can create a variety of effects, for example, to highlight a zone.
For the manufacture of ceramic tiles, manufacturers use a mixture of sand, several types of clays and minerals. All this is carefully pressed, then burned, then covered with enamel and burned again.
This material has a relatively light weight and has high strength and resistance to mechanical damage.
Tile has many advantages:
- resistance to temperature changes is a fire-resistant non-combustible material that can withstand the highest temperatures and retains its external decorative characteristics;
- water resistance – the level of water absorption by the tile is very low, therefore this material never swells and does not warp, its color and shape always remain the same;
- inertness to chemical reagents – the tile is not afraid of alkali and acid, therefore, when you care for it, you can use any household chemicals;
- smooth surface in high density – microbes do not multiply on it and foreign substances are not absorbed;
- durability – tiles can last for many years, remaining the same as on the day of purchase;
- easy care – to keep the tile backsplash in perfect cleanliness, just wipe it periodically with a damp sponge.
What tiles for finishing a kitchen backsplash should you choose
Classic tile is a traditional material that is unlikely to go out of style. After many years, a backsplash decorated with such a tile looks all the same relevant and respectable. This material is more suitable for people who do not plan to change interiors too often and start regular repairs.
The classic version of ceramic tiles, this is one of the best and practical options.
Tile 10×10 – a fairly popular option, and easy to install. Installation of such tiles is carried out with slight trimming. Thanks to small elements, this material is great for arranging cramped kitchens.
The advantage of this tile is that it is easily installed in the most inaccessible places.
In addition, it has the ability to visually enlarge and slightly expand the space. To achieve this effect, designers are advised to choose a finishing material in light colors or white.
Tile – mosaic – this material is of such quality as universality. It looks organically and stylishly in the finish of the backsplash, while being strong and durable, it withstands loads.
Using mosaics, you can create the most unthinkable patterns.
To clean the mosaic, special compositions are not needed – it is carried out using ordinary household means, since this material is not exposed to aggressive chemical compounds.
Tile rhombus – as the name implies, the material has a rhomboid shape. It is matte or glossy, it is often produced with decorative patterns and even gilding. It is presented in a wide range of colors on the modern market.
Often, diamond-shaped tiles are chosen by designers for finishing work surfaces in classic interiors. Tiles of this shape look respectable and elegant.
Laying tiles with a rhombus looks original.
Tile “boar” – this decoration material with a funny name is a small ceramic tile, in its shape resembling a brick. Most often, in the decoration of backsplashes and other surfaces, a slightly convex “boar” with characteristic beveled edges from four edges is used.
Tile “boar” in any style will look harmonious.
This tile looks very worthy, in addition, it has an affordable cost. Today you can buy tile “boar”, made in a variety of shades.
Tip: Owners of small kitchens should choose a smaller tile for finishing the work area – a backsplash. The larger and larger the room, the larger the ceramic tile used.
Methods for laying ceramic tiles when arranging a backsplash
There are different methods for laying ceramic tiles when arranging a kitchen backsplash. Moreover, only the color of the material or its shape is important – the way the elements are placed is also of great importance when designing the kitchen.
The most elementary way that even beginners can use is laying the tiles on the wall surface in a row. A similar method should be used when installing monophonic tiles, tiles with patterns, or tiles with an image applied to its surface.
Classic kitchen with tile laying in one row.
Diagonal laying – most often this installation method is preferred when installing patterned tiles. It is also suitable for laying tiles when combining it with mirror fragments.
Modern home kitchen with diagonal laying of tiles.
Such a design solution looks very attractive, in addition, it helps to visually expand and fill with light a small room in the kitchen. The only drawback is the need to constantly trim the material, which will require quite a lot.
Installation of tiles with an offset (performed in the form of imitation of brickwork) – this installation method involves the use of “boar” tiles in the arrangement of a backsplash. If desired, in the same way it is quite possible to lay the most traditional square tile. As for the shades of the material, they can be any.
The offset option is relevant for the design of a brick backsplash and tiles of the same color.
Building materials and tools used when laying tiles on a backsplash
In order to lay out the tiles qualitatively and equip a really attractive and solid backsplash, some special devices will be required:
- punch – with its help it is necessary to clean the wall of the old coating;
- a set of spatulas – narrow to collect glue, rubber to work with seams, and serrated to distribute the solution along the wall;
- screwdriver with a mixer – mix the adhesive;
- building levels – to perfectly tile installation;
- several buckets – for glue and water;
- abrasive bar, nippers and tile cutter – for cutting tiles and its correction;
- crosses with pegs – necessary to set the desired thickness of the seam;
- rubber mallet – necessary to check the tightness of the backsplash;
- ruler and pencil – for marking;
- cord – for smooth installation of tiles.
What preparatory work is needed before arranging the backsplash
Once all the necessary equipment and materials have been prepared, you can begin to thoroughly prepare the work surface itself. To do this, completely remove any existing coating from the wall.
You can get rid of old tiles with a punch. It is necessary to do everything in such a way that only a plaster layer remains.
Then you will have to check the tightness of its fit – if it is found that some elements are peeling off, they will have to be removed and immediately correct the irregularities.
It is also necessary to check the evenness of the wall, and if the tile will go to a different angle, then the evenness of the angle should also be checked. In order for the adhesive solution to adhere tightly to the surface, it is recommended to make small notches along the entire wall.
Tip: It is possible that mold or fungus were found on the old wall – then it will have to be carefully treated with a special compound with anti-corrosion properties.
Stages of all tile installation work
Wall marking – to make it, you will need a building level. With its help, a line should be drawn along the wall (exactly in the place where the first row of the backsplash is installed). The first row of tiles must be laid on a bar attached to the wall.
From it, with the help of the same level, vertical lines are drawn for smooth tile laying. In the course of work, it will be necessary to carefully ensure that the tile lies perfectly evenly.
Glue preparation – special glue can be purchased at a hardware store. It is stirred in a pre-prepared bucket of water, while observing the proportions indicated on the package. The prepared substance should not be liquid, but rather viscous.
Applying tile glue – for high-quality spreading along the wall of the prepared compound, a notched trowel is used. With the help of the teeth, grooves are left on the surface of the glue, due to which the glue under the tile will be much smaller than if the composition was simply spread with an even continuous layer. This means that when the tile is aligned on its sides, less excess adhesive solution will be released.
Laying the first row of tiles – the process depends on what size of tiles are used. For example, when installing 10×10 tiles, it is worth laying it from the corner. Initially, you need to figure out which of the corners will be the most inconspicuous.
To observe the distance between the tiles on the backsplash, it is worth using plastic crosses sold in the building materials store of a suitable size. Such crosses can be laid one at a time for every four tiles, but after the glue has completely dried, it will be difficult to remove them without effort.
There is another way to install such crosses. They are located sideways so that only one end of the cross comes between the tile.
Arrangement of the backsplash wall – on the first row, in accordance with the vertical lines, the next rows of tiles are laid. In this case, it is necessary to provide for all available sockets and make holes suitable for them in size. Tile trimming should be done after careful measurements.
Tip: You can’t do anything “by eye”, you must use the appropriate tools. It is best to place the sockets in convenient places, then only small sections can be made on the tile, and not cut holes.
Grouting – Grout itself should also buy in a store building materials. To clean the seams, you can use any sponge (perfect for washing a car). The main tool will be a rubber spatula – it does not scratch the upper glossy layer of tile.
A smaller spatula is necessary for all internal corners. It is important to remember that grout residues must be removed from the tile very quickly, the whole process should take no more than 20 minutes.
Otherwise, the cement grout will harden immediately and it will be difficult to remove it. The final stage of the work is the washing of tiles from stains and other traces of grouting and glue.
Important nuances and subtleties of work
You need to remember a few important tips that will help to achieve excellent results when laying tiles in place of the backsplash. Not all tiles are equally practical, so if you do not want to spend your time constantly caring for a ceramic backsplash, you should avoid a tile with a convex and textured relief, since you will often have to wipe it from dirt.
Ceramic tiles – this is the most reliable and therefore the most popular material for decorating the kitchen.
When buying tiles for a future backsplash, a certain margin should be provided – no more than 15%. This is necessary in case the tile accidentally breaks, or is unevenly trimmed.
Do not choose the kitchen is too dark or vice versa – too light tiles. It is better to use a tile of light or dark, but not too deep tones. Designers advise buying all the tiles necessarily from one batch, in which case the material will not have differences in shade.
Repair is not always a painful expectation of a result. You can look at this process differently: create a real masterpiece by simply choosing the right style and selecting materials for it. The material that sets the overall tone is the kitchen backsplash tile. In today’s review of the editors HomeMy?ome.ru, we propose to get acquainted with the range of tiles and its decorative qualities.
Pros and cons of tiles for a kitchen backsplash
The market offers so much! To understand why tile is still popular, let’s talk about its advantages:
- this is the material that is not afraid of moisture, and after all, next to the stove there is always the most spray and vapor;
- the tile does not respond to kitchen temperatures, since it was made at extremely high temperatures, the usual heat in the kitchen tile will not hurt;
- all traces of fat and dyes are easily removed from the tile, leaving no residue;
- good styling and high-quality material will allow you to admire the tiles in dozens of years;
- modern color and textured options will suit the most demanding owner;
- tile can be combined in design with any other material.
Now consider a few drawbacks:
- for the backsplash to serve for a long time and look impeccable, it requires skills in laying tiles, or you have to invite a master;
- in the process, the kitchen should be empty, which can create some difficulties;
- additional materials are required to fix the tile;
- during the entire period of using the backsplash, you need to monitor the tile seams and adjust them.
Any material has advantages and disadvantages, but in the case of using tiles for a kitchen backsplash, there are still more advantages.
Types of glossy and matte ceramic backsplash tiles
Glossy or matte – it depends on the desire of the owner and the general requirements of the design of the room.
The effect of gloss is provided by the reflection of light, because of this the space looks visually larger.
Advice! If the kitchen environment does not favor immodesty, then it is better to opt for a matte tile.
The minus of glossy tiles include the appearance of stains with frequent washing. Matte tiles look more neutral and do not cause a feeling of “noisy”.
The dullness on the backsplash creates a cozy and comfortable feeling
There are not so many difficulties with cleaning a matte backsplash, and the dirt on it is slightly striking, as on a glossy one.
Mosaic tile for the kitchen on the backsplash
Mosaic is in demand for several centuries. This is a small tile made of glass or ceramic. The small size allows you to use it as a laid out drawings and ornaments.
The laid out picture looks very original
Mosaic is good for both small kitchens and large dining areas.
Laying mosaic tiles on a backsplash in the kitchen is a rather troublesome business. The miniature size of the tile requires certain styling skills.
The cost of a mosaic backsplash will be slightly more expensive than many other options
Especially for our readers, we suggest using a convenient online kitchen designer that allows you to organize your kitchen space to your taste and quickly calculate the cost of a kitchen set.
For a better result, you should turn to professional tile handlers to avoid disappointment with the result. Options for combining colors in a mosaic are not limited by anything, because you can create real pictures. But there is an opportunity to stop the choice on several colors.
Mosaic patterns and plain kitchen furniture create a pleasant impression
Ornaments can perfectly fit a certain style of cuisine.
The best option for decorating the cooking zone is backsplashes for the kitchen – skinali, photos of which are presented in our review. Why they gained such popularity read on.
The tile got its name due to the fact that earlier they were made using a mold with holes similar to a piglet’s boar. The modern “boar” is a rectangular glossy tile of a small size, elongated in a ratio of 1:2.
Usually use sizes from 7 × 12 to 10 × 25 cm
The “boar” tile is produced with a beveled chamfer, that is, the edge of the tile is cut off at an angle to the surface.
“Boar” is always the same color, but the rich color scheme allows you to find what you need
This type of tile is very suitable for the classic design of the kitchen
Despite the seeming simplicity of the tile, the backsplash in the kitchen looks aesthetically pleasing, simple and at the same time original. Laying should be done by a professional who can correctly form external and internal corners.
Backsplash for the kitchen made of plastic. Why is it necessary, the pros and cons, types, selection criteria, a review of manufacturers and average prices, the intricacies of self-assembly, useful tips – in our publication.
A tile as durable as porcelain tile has heat resistance, moisture resistance and is able to withstand the effects of acids. In combination with the external beauty, the metlakh tile is ideal for a backsplash in the kitchen.
Types of glass tiles
A glass backsplash in the kitchen is called skinali. The advantages of such a backsplash are the non-absorbency of water and fat, and the glass is easily washed. Rags with a pile, specially designed for cleaning glass, will remove the smallest stains without a trace.
An ordinary tile gets dirt at the joints, but the skin has no such minus
On black glass, flaws during washing will not be noticeable at all, and the effect in the design is amazing
Modern manufacturers offer both a transparent glass backsplash and color. Glass can be frosted or placed in a special way.
A photo can also be placed between sheets of glass or use photo printing on glass and sintering.
Installation of such a backsplash is clean and without problems: no need to remove furniture from the room.
Backsplash for the kitchen made of glass. You can find the catalog, photos, advantages, varieties, selection criteria, model range, do-it-yourself installation secrets, expert advice and recommendations from our portal material.
Types of stone and porcelain tiles
Ceramic tiles, called porcelain tiles, have special properties, among which strength comes first. The sophistication of the interior, which used porcelain stoneware on a backsplash, seems like an expensive luxury.
Porcelain tile is good in being resistant to grease and dirt.
“You can choose a countertop made of the same high-strength material to a porcelain stoneware backsplash.”
According to the Mohs scale, the hardness of porcelain stoneware is 9 points; therefore, it is very difficult to work with it independently.
Another version of the stone design of the backsplash is agglomerates. This material is made using polyester oils and inclusions from crumbs of granite, marble and limestone. Adding dyes allows you to get interesting color shades that are close to natural stone.
For porcelain stoneware, only one installation method is possible – facing with slabs, so a monolithic slab is often ordered, which guarantees the durability of the backsplash.
Standard backsplash tile formats
The tile format is selected based on personal preferences, ease of installation, material for the backsplash, as well as the general dimensions of the furniture, hob, height of the furniture in the kitchen. A popular tile size for a kitchen backsplash is 10 × 10 cm. This is the optimal size that can be combined with any decor and idea.
When using such a tile size, it is very convenient to make calculations: the result is always neat and geometrically verified
A distance of 60 cm is recommended between the countertop and the wall cabinet: it turns out that a tile of 10 × 10 cm fits well in the form of six rows.
Important! The actual parameters of the tile are always chosen slightly less than the planned volume of coverage – to take into account future joints.
If domestic manufacturers still produce a large selection of tiles with such dimensions, then foreign ones consider this format to be old-fashioned.
Color and decor of tiles for a kitchen backsplash
That’s where imagination can go for a walk, so this is when choosing tiles for a backsplash in the kitchen. They take into account the general style of the room, decor elements, color of furniture, taste preferences, and are also guided by the mood that should be created when entering the kitchen.
Kitchen backsplash patchwork tile
The patchwork style will bring brightness to the kitchen: rich shades, color combinations fill the room with energy. Each design decision becomes individual.
Doing such a backsplash with your own hands is a very interesting process.
Tile on a backsplash under a tree or a stone
Natural wood is not used to design a kitchen backsplash – in addition to the fact that it is not cheap, it is simply impractical and dangerous. But if you want to see the wooden surfaces of the backsplash in the kitchen, MDF or laminated particleboard with a thickness of 4 to 15 mm is used.
The advantages of this design include ease of installation, the ability to select a combination of wood and stone material
This coating should not be installed near a gas stove.
Porcelain stoneware in wood color is safe and blends seamlessly into a wooden kitchen.
The design of a brick in the interior of the kitchen fits perfectly into many styles
The imitation of marble, salt marsh, shale with artificial aging, roughness, roughness makes the interior impressively special.
New backsplash tiles from popular manufacturers
Competition in the world of manufacturing building materials is always high. Especially in demand are Russian, Spanish and Italian tiles. This is a huge selection of colors, textures, sizes. Depending on the quality and exclusivity, the price range is also built.
Russian tile for the kitchen on a backsplash
Russian manufacturers work based on economic processes in the country: quality does not suffer from quite affordable prices, but new collections of ceramic tiles regularly appear. The work is carried out on high-quality equipment using European technology.
Neutral shades fit any style.
Traditional ornament or pattern will refresh the kitchen.
Brands that have a good track record and recommendations: Shakhty tiles, Kerama Marazzi, Atlas Concorde Russia, Ceradim, Uralkeramika and others.
Spanish backsplash kitchen tiles
Spain has established itself as a high-quality and serious manufacturer of ceramic tiles for kitchen on a backsplash. Basically, this is a tile of neutral shades, often successfully imitating wood or stone.
The inclusion of decorative elements in combination with plain walls attracts the eye
A whole decorative ensemble of beige background, border and small panels
Spaniards – big lovers of tiled backsplash borders for the kitchen
Octagonal Spanish tiles look interesting
Spanish manufacturers in their collections focus on the comfort of the premises.
Italian kitchen tile on a backsplash
The unconditional design effect and richness of color solutions belongs to the Italian manufacturers of ceramic tiles. Prices for such products, one might say, are cosmic. But quality, combined with beauty, justifies the high cost of production. Below in the photo are examples of ceramic tiles for the kitchen on the backsplash.
Natural colors are also welcomed by Italians.
Yes, Italians know a lot about chic interior design.
What to look for when buying backsplash tiles
Despite current trends in non-standard interior design and a tendency to dark colors, a backsplash in such colors is impractical. The slightest splashes, spots, dust – all this will immediately attract attention, distracting from the general interior and decor. But when choosing bright colors for a backsplash, it is important not to overdo it and make the rest of the kitchen tone neutral.
Due to the right material, you can significantly expand the space visually: skins with a horizontal pattern or a “boar” will do. Mirror finish, although it will make the room visually wider, but imagine how many flaws will be noticeable on the mirror surface! When choosing a tile, add 10% to the calculated amount for possible errors or chips.
Also do not be too lazy to look at the purchased product for damage. We also want to say that porous surfaces for the kitchen are not the best option. Although it is beautiful, but the dirt gets clogged into such a material very quickly.
How to calculate the area of a kitchen backsplash
In order not to be mistaken when buying tiles, you need to carefully calculate the area of the future backsplash for the existing kitchen set. We invite our readers to use the convenient online calculator below.
How to lay out a backsplash from a tile in the kitchen with your own hands – the nuances
To make a backsplash in the kitchen from tiles, we are guided by several tips:
- Mark the coating.
- Chalk marks the places where patterns or drawings will be located.
- The wall is covered with a primer layer, spending it sparingly.
- The lower boundary is indicated by a metal or wooden profile.
- Be sure to use the building level for leveling!
- Make sure that the adhesive is less in contact with air, since the installation process is not fast, and the glue may dry out. Glues do not sting and smear an impressive layer.
- The glue is passed with a notched trowel and put the first row.
- Do not forget to use plastic crosses for the quality of the seams.
- If necessary, use a grinder with a diamond disk or tile cutter.
- If the glue gets on the front side, it is immediately wiped.
- The next day, the joints are cleaned of excess glue and the crosses are removed.
- It remains to apply a protective coating for the joints and grout.
Where is it profitable to buy tile for the kitchen on the backsplash – price overview
Using photo catalogs, you can study a large number of tiles in the kitchen for a backsplash and then order what you liked the most. They immediately indicate all the characteristics and price. It will be easy to immediately calculate the right amount of material to buy tiles for the kitchen on the backsplash and find a better offer. The popular “boar” tile for a backsplash can be bought at a price of 900 to 2500 per m 2.
Photos of interesting tile backsplash design options
At the end of the article we offer to see different kitchen interiors with backsplash tiles. Perhaps you will find for yourself an interesting design solution.
Did you enjoy it? What will your kitchen design be like? If you already know the answer to this question, share the experience of choosing the material for repair in the comments.