Furniture design trends don’t change as often as, for example, clothing fashions. However, even in this conservative area, subtle shifts are gradually taking place. In 2022, experts recommend keeping a course for the following characteristics:
- naturalness and environmental friendliness;
- unusual shapes;
- natural colors;
- practicality and functionality;
- attention to detail.
It is not at all necessary to combine all this in one interior; a couple of the features you like the most will be enough.
Top 5 furniture design trends 2022
In 2022, experts recommend keeping a course for the following characteristics:
In 2022, interior design freedom and personalization come first. This means that you can select furniture based on your desires, needs and taste preferences. For example, it is quite possible to combine a minimalist armchair and a vintage chest of drawers. Thus, the tastes of different generations of people are reflected in the setting, which gives it liveliness and originality.
Everything natural and natural will be in fashion. In particular, the roughly knit wooden tables and chairs will become one of the most interesting features of modern interiors. The same direction will be reflected in the colors of the upholstery. Natural tones fit perfectly into the stylists’ demands for simplicity and functionality in 2022.
In 2022, interior items with several textures and shades will be in wide demand. For example, glass looks very elegant next to metal. Modern manufacturers offer not only cabinets of this type, but also chairs and tables. You need to understand that tempered glass is usually used for furniture, which has high strength. Such materials are ideal for high-tech style, but now they can be used for almost any direction in the design of premises.
Thorny, cold and rough rough surfaces are rapidly receding into the past. Soft, delicate and silky materials for upholstery are gaining popularity: chenille, velor, velvet, etc. Therefore, people who prefer to surround themselves with comfortable and cozy furniture will be able in 2022 to easily find the option that will most fully meet their needs.
In no case do not throw away your grandmother’s chair: in 2022 it will be able to modernize and decorate your interior in the most unexpected way. The fashion for antiquity breaks through in the smallest details and surprises with an ever-increasing scale. Now it is very desirable that things with history and character should be in the room. The more unique and unusual an antique piece of furniture is, the more it is valued.
It is not at all necessary to combine the listed trends in one interior; a couple of the features you like the most will be enough.
In 2022, shades of earth, greenery and vegetables will become especially popular:
- Terracotta. This brick shade mixed with orange, red and ocher looks very impressive in furniture and accessories. It is widely used to decorate soft sofas, armchairs, and coffee tables.
- Mint green. This color can successfully replace traditional white tones in furniture. It looks great with sandy, coffee and ocher hues. If you prefer a colder color range, you can combine mint green with rich emerald or gray-blue.
- Bottle green. This color is often found in the design of premium furniture. It looks unusually elegant and fresh and fits perfectly into minimalism and loft styles.
- Mustard. This shade from a warm palette is associated with earth and sun. Using it in furniture upholstery gives the room aristocracy and originality. Gray, white or chocolate accents in the interior help to slightly muffle the brightness of the tone.
- Blue-gray. This color combines the restraint of gray and the charm of blue. Such furniture inevitably attracts the eye, since it is perceived as very airy and refined. To make it look even more advantageous, you can add dark wood or cool pink shades to the decoration of the room.
Modern urban people sometimes experience an irresistible desire to merge with nature and be nourished by its power. In part, this explains the desire of designers to make furniture mainly from natural materials:
- bamboo and rattan;
- leather, etc.
The combination of several textures in one object at once gives special attractiveness and originality to the interior. Glass also looks very elegant in the design of the room. Mirror inserts are still often used in cabinets and countertops. They make the room more elegant and visually expand its boundaries. A special chic of recent times is the wooden backs and armrests of the sofas. For the convenience of seated people, soft pillows are placed on them.
Specialists and metal parts are actively used. Furniture can be decorated with gold, brass, bronze, steel or nickel. However, copper is becoming the most popular in 2022. This metal is very attractive due to its warm hue and ability to bring a festive atmosphere to the room. It will be appropriate in interiors of different styles and colors.
Since natural materials are most in demand in 2022, solid textiles are increasingly being chosen for upholstery. It is very important that it has an expressive texture and high quality. It is worth noting that furniture in the spirit of the 50s is gradually returning to fashion. The ornament on it can be in the form of a small cage, “goose feet”, restrained ripples. Subtle floral or ethnic patterns are also acceptable.
Designers offer options with soft-touch upholstery associated with discreet luxury. So, velvet, bouclé and tweed are becoming popular. The neighborhood of fabrics of different texture looks very impressive. For example, velvet goes well with leather, silk or linen.
It may seem to some that the design of modern furniture looks unnecessarily ordinary and boring. Barely noticeable stylish details help to avoid such a feeling: interesting edging, seams turned outward, a flirtatious looking row of buttons matched to the fabric, etc.
Outdoor furniture, in contrast to home furniture, is acquiring more and more bright and expressive shades in 2022. Designers believe that it should stand out from the general background, and not merge with the greenery of trees and lawns. If the furniture was originally purchased in restrained colors, then you can “revive” it with the help of pillows, mattresses and covers in rich juicy tones.
The shape of garden furniture should be either underlined strict, or deliberately rounded. These two design directions exist in parallel and provide us with ample opportunities for experimentation. For example, cubic tables and rectangular sofas are very relevant in 2022. However, you can install a cozy rocking chair in the form of a cocoon on the terrace. Of the materials, it is recommended to give preference to the following options:
- wood – this material is a timeless classic; it looks very attractive and solid and allows you to embody the most non-standard fantasies due to its plasticity and expressive texture; usually tables, chairs and benches are made of wood;
- stone – garden benches made of this material are distinguished by their originality and durability; the flower beds built into them look very original;
- metal – forged tables, chairs and benches will undoubtedly become a real decoration of the personal plot; they are very elegant and at the same time resistant to adverse weather conditions (if they are covered with a special anti-corrosion compound);
- textiles – this material is relevant for soft sofas, sun loungers, rocking chairs and armchairs.
However, if you consider yourself a supporter of maximum lightness and do not want to unnecessarily burden yourself with the responsibilities of caring for outdoor furniture, then we recommend that you opt for unassuming and mobile plastic structures.
Whichever material you prefer, be sure to make sure that it provides the furniture with the necessary practicality and attractiveness, and for you the required level of comfort.
Sometimes it happens that furniture becomes unnecessarily worn over time and does not look aesthetically pleasing. In no case do not rush to part with her! Modern trends in design make it possible to make a very fashionable thing from a rarity, which will bring a special atmosphere of comfort to the interior. The most suitable option for staining in this case would be patina or craquelure varnish. A chest of drawers, table, chair or wardrobe covered with these compositions will acquire an interesting vintage look.
Pure white paint can also emphasize the expressiveness of the wooden surface. Such a design solution will look great in a country style interior. In 2022, furniture with the effect of the old paint layer showing through is also becoming very popular. To obtain it, you need to apply a different color to the surface, and then sand it with sandpaper. You can also wipe the areas most often touched by your hand with dark wax. Then the furniture will look like it has already been used for many generations.
Furniture design in 2022 will be given the same importance as before. The main fashion trends have remained unchanged, so do not rush to radically update your interior. However, it does not hurt to bring some zest to it, which will add relevance to it. To do this, you can safely use:
- interesting non-standard details – furniture can be decorated with spectacular inserts of fabrics of different textures, unusual stitching, lightning and other “chips” that do not immediately catch the eye, but hint at the “status” of the thing upon closer examination;
- the effect of an aged surface or staining – if the appearance of the furniture has ceased to suit you, then it is in your power to change its design for the better; if necessary, you can always turn to professionals for help;
- trendy colors – for this it is not at all necessary to purchase a new piece of furniture: it will be enough to buy bedspreads of the desired shades or pillows.
We wish you successful creative searches in interior design!