Working with space, abandoning upper cabinets and comfortable minimalism – we tell you what kitchen design trends are waiting for us in 2024 and what styles will be relevant.
Trends change every year, but it is unlikely that it will be possible to repair and update the interior just as often. In this article, we have collected not just fashion trends in kitchen design with photo examples, but have chosen sustainable trends that will set the tone for kitchen interiors for more than one season. You will also find a selection of styles that will not lose their relevance in the coming years.
Kitchen design trends 2024
1. Single space
You won’t surprise anyone with a combined kitchen-living room – the fashion trend has long passed into the category of classics. The concept of a single space in which you can cook, communicate with family or friends, work and relax is firmly established both in the minds of people and in the layouts of new apartments. More and more euro- twos and euro-threes are appearing – this is a housing designed according to European canons, where the bedrooms are made small and isolated, and up to 50% of the area is allocated for a spacious kitchen-living room, where all life is in full swing.
What is important to consider when designing such a space?
- The main idea is unity. Do not pile up walls and partitions, do not block the light, do not split the room into small cramped areas. This is especially important for small apartments, where you need to create the illusion of a spacious room.
- The main problem of such a neighborhood is that the sounds and smells from the cooking area will also hover in the living room. The problem is solved by a powerful hood and good ventilation. If you cook a lot, and you need to create privacy in the hall, you can use light partitions, preferably transparent or at least letting in light. The best options are glass screens, mobile screens and rack structures.
- The cooking zone is most often made discreet, shifting the focus of attention to the living room with a sofa group. To do this, you will need laconic facades, hidden storage systems (including household appliances) and a neutral palette that will almost merge with the finish.
- The standard way to zone the cooking area and the living part of the room is the dining group, located between them and forming a smooth transition. It can be a full-fledged dining table or a bar counter , depending on the lifestyle of the owners.
2. Natural colors
Another long-term trend that is unlikely to lose popularity in the next few years. But the natural palette is diverse, and fashion within this spectrum is changing. Experts from the Pantone Color Institute and trend forecasting company WGSN have named the directions that will be in trend in 2024.
The dark brown palette is being replaced by lighter tones. The most popular choice is a combo of beige and light gray, which can be further diluted with a white base or, conversely, accents. It turns out an airy and light design with a nod to the Scandinavian style. For inspiration, you can use photos of desert dunes and white sand.
Sage and olives
The natural palette cannot be imagined without green. This color in any manifestation immediately refreshes the interior and is perfect for the kitchen. In the coming year, the emphasis will be on muted and soothing, stable shades. So, for facades, a sage color with a gray fade (for a lighter color scheme) or a deep and warm tone of olive oil (for a darker one) is suitable. They can also be used as accents.
Varieties of blue
Bright facades gradually begin to take away the palm from neutral monochrome compositions. In the near future, the peak of popularity of any variation of blue is expected: shades of the cold waters of the Atlantic Ocean, thunderclouds, indigo, the sky on a sunny day, pale blue.
All sorts of soil colors are still in the top trendy colors. Deep brown tones will be a good base for decoration in a modern, neoclassical or classic style. Variations of gray are best complemented by a pronounced texture of stone or concrete. If you want to add coziness to the interior, pay attention to warm colors: terracotta, ocher, clay, rust, brick, southern scorched earth.
3. Mezzanine cabinets
Unlike standard sets, mezzanine structures have an additional third tier. So they use a small free space between the upper border of the cabinets and the ceiling. These types of headsets are becoming more and more common in design projects, and there are several reasons for this.
- There is more storage space – this is especially true for small apartments and kitchens of small footage.
- The absence of a gap between the ceiling and the top line of the cabinets makes the overall look of the headset more concise and nobler.
- Due to the fact that the wall is completely covered with facades, you can save on finishing, and the cleaning process is also greatly simplified (dust does not accumulate between the cabinet and the ceiling).
4. Compact cooking area
The lifestyle of a modern urban dweller, especially in metropolitan areas, is changing. Many processes are optimized, thus freeing up time for a career, self-development and communication with loved ones, including cooking. Someone uses the delivery of ready-made food, someone prefers to eat out. But the fact remains: on average, people cook less, and someone even makes only light breakfasts at home.
The design of the kitchen in the apartment also adapts to these changing needs. Massive structures occupying two walls completely are being replaced by compact corner or linear systems with two-burner stoves, hidden storage and a small work surface.
5. Two colors or textures
Contrasting two-tone headsets come into fashion. Colors can be split vertically or horizontally, clearly 50×50, or according to the color blocking principle: one tone is basic, the second is accent. The classic version is a darker color at the bottom of the furniture, a lighter one at the top, but no one forbids breaking these canons.
A mix of textures will make the color pair even more interesting: for example, stone and wood, marble and metal, MDF and glass. For a kitchen design in a modern style, a combination of smooth matte facades with a pronounced wood texture works great. The palette can be anything, but the gray-beige or taupe combo is considered a classic.
6. No top tier
Increasingly, there are design projects without the top row of cabinets. There are several reasons for this.
- Changing the lifestyle of people and, accordingly, the role of the cooking zone – such a number of storage systems is simply not needed.
- Such a composition significantly unloads the space, makes it light and airy.
- The cost of a kitchen set without upper cabinets is reduced by about 1/3.
Below is a photo of the kitchen in a one-tier apartment. There are several ways to organize such a headset.
- Leave the wall empty or place an accent hood there.
- Hanging several open shelves is not the most practical solution in real life, so it is better to store decor items or beautiful dishes that are not constantly used there.
- If you are not ready to completely abandon the upper cabinets, you can free only one part of the wall.
Actual kitchen interior styles 2024
Despite the new trends appearing in the design of the kitchen, the design of this room will remain unchanged for at least several years. Some styles will definitely not lose their relevance in the near future.
Minimalism can hardly be called a trend – it is a whole philosophy of life without rigid design canons. The direction develops, changes and integrates into everyday life, going beyond the interior.
To make the interior design of the kitchen in this style relevant, follow the following rules.
- Use warm, diluted shades – they will add warmth to the room and compensate for the minimal amount of decor.
- Small doesn’t mean boring. Minimalistic interiors work due to the verified forms, color depth and combination of textures. It is the textures that need to be given special attention. Combine cold and warm textures, glossy and matte surfaces. Rough concrete or stone looks great with warm wood and cozy kitchen textiles. To enliven the interior, you can add 1-2 live flowers in minimalist flower pots, as well as make an accent apron: lay out unusual tiles or continue the tabletop material.
- Design follows function, not the other way around. All furniture and appliances should be multifunctional and arranged according to the principles of ergonomics.
People will continue to strive for nature, including within their apartment. Ecostyle will not leave the list of popular trends for a long time, but, like minimalism, it has already become more of a concept than a set of stylistic markers.
The key idea of ecodesign is the naturalness of all materials. In the top there is a tree or its eco-friendly analogues, which can be supplemented with artificial or natural stone, marble texture, precious metals. There should be a lot of light in the room, the decor should be only natural. Clay and ceramic dishes, textiles made from natural fabrics, accessories made of wood, stone, bamboo and other plant materials.
Visually, eco-style can be close to Scandinavian interiors, minimalism or boho – depending on personal tastes and the overall style of the apartment.
In parallel with the eco-theme, a course towards high technologies is developing. If you like the cold restraint of futurism, pay attention to the strict and seasoned hi-tech.
This style is characterized by the use of rough materials: concrete, metal, glass, artificial or natural stone. Wood – only cold shades, possibly painted. The palette is mostly achromatic: black, gray and white predominate. Sometimes deep shades of blue, purple or brown with a grayish undertone are added to them.
Important: high-tech requires large spaces and investments. This style is perfect for an ultra-modern country house, penthouse or spacious apartment. It is quite difficult to recreate it in a small odnushka or dvushka – in this case it is better to use individual elements, thus making a variation on the theme.
A fashionable alternative to modern trends is sophisticated English style. This is an interior for decades, in which there is no place for fleeting trends and cheap materials.
The main focus is on the noble texture of wood. It is used everywhere: in the headset, decoration, accessories. The palette can be any, the main rule is no acid flashy shades. There are two directions: the predominance of brown-beige tones – this type of English cuisine is closer to country and is more common in country houses; a saturated primary color, such as deep blue or dark green, the headset comes to the fore.
In the decoration, you can use wallpaper with abstract or floral ornaments – for the cooking area, these must be moisture-resistant coatings.