Working from home is one of the hottest trends of the last decade. The absence of the need to rent premises and the ability to provide oneself with the most comfortable working conditions become decisive arguments for both freelancers and managers of large and not so large companies, and even for owners of their own business. That is why the home office today is becoming one of the most important functional areas of the home.
It doesn’t matter what you plan to do in your home office – it can be nail design, IT, blogging, auditing, or jewelry making. In any case, you will be spending most of the day in your personal office. It is not surprising that designers recommend paying as much attention as possible to the design of such zones: the atmosphere in them should be conducive to productive work and creativity without any inconvenience and distractions. If you are still thinking about arranging an office at home, you should find out what trends have already been proposed by specialists in 2022.
- 1 Top 5 Home Office Design Trends in 2022
- 2 Color Trends for Home Office 2022
- 3 Home Office Desks Trends 2022
- 4 Home office chair trends in 2022
- 5 Home Office Lighting Trends 2022
- 6 Home office layout trends in 2022
- 7 Home Office Key Recommendations
Top 5 Home Office Design Trends in 2022
Finding the perfect balance of comfort, functionality and aesthetics is the main task when decorating a home office. And the ability to provide this balance within the most sought-after interior styles is welcome news in the run-up to 2022. If you keep a close eye on the trends, then there are five key trends for the coming season that will come in handy for you.
Today, environmental problems are becoming more and more urgent – and this cannot but cause the desire to get closer to nature. An abundance of air and light, naturalness and tranquility are almost indispensable conditions for fruitful and successful work. Eco-style home office topped the hit list for home office design trends 2022, and if this idea is very close to you, check out the following solutions:
- Light monochrome. Eco suggests to refrain from prints and ornaments and focus on the purity of close to natural shades – matte white, beige and smoky gray.
- Maximum of natural materials. Wooden furniture with an open texture, some glass and metal will create an environment that is easy to breathe and enjoyable to work with.
- Natural lighting. Large windows without heavy dense curtains are a must-have for eco style. If your office windows face the sunny side, you can pick up light blinds or roller blinds.
- Elements of wildlife. Plants in pots and an aquarium will create a fresh feeling and bring a pleasant variety to everyday work.
A Scandinavian-style home office is an option for people with extraordinary thinking and a high level of creativity. It is noteworthy that the scandi-inspired study and the living space decorated in the same direction differ markedly. If a bedroom, living room or kitchen pleases with tranquility and light, then the office will amaze with unusual features:
- popular contrasts of black and white;
- the dominance of natural materials;
- a variety of wall and table decor – from pictures and posters to antique appliances, clay vases and straw baskets.
Fans of the ease and dynamics of the metropolis find the urban style a very successful solution for home office design. Conciseness, simplicity, and clear ambiguous details are valuable ingredients for a recipe for focus and effective problem solving. To design an account in this way, rely on the following techniques:
- natural materials with an open, uneven or aged texture – such as brickwork, untreated wood and metal;
- clear angles and shapes of tables and chairs;
- functional accessories for furnishing a workplace with a hint of vintage – typewriters, classic alarm clocks, book clips.
While modern trends in design are desperately fighting for the right to be called the most relevant of the season, the classic style remains true to itself and does not lose in the number of fans. A traditional home office in a similar design is elegance, respectability and timeless luxury, which is achieved through always sought-after solutions:
- symmetry and well-thought-out measured layout;
- expressive textures – natural solid wood, leather, natural stone;
- volumetric solid forms of furniture;
- exquisite table and wall accessories.
An art deco home office is an offer that will interest people with a refined taste and high social status. Despite the undeniable attraction to luxury, such interiors obey a clear rhythm and balance and deny all that is superfluous – and this is exactly what is needed for an office. For those who want to work in such a sophisticated atmosphere, the designers are happy to advise the following design and decor options:
- expressive materials with reflective textures – glass, crystal, mirrors, polished wood;
- use of neutral, dark and saturated shades at the same time;
- accessories with exotic motives;
- luxurious lamps;
- massive tables and deep armchairs.
Home office colors play an almost key role. In a room where it is necessary to create all conditions for maximum concentration of attention without sacrificing comfort, the choice of colors should be approached with utmost care. That is why designers categorically do not recommend using bright and harsh shades even as accent details, since they will constantly distract and quickly cause overwork.
You should be no less careful with dark colors, especially black. They are categorically not suitable for small home offices, however, it is quite possible to arrange spacious work areas with their help. However, in this case, it is strongly recommended to use as many light neutral accessories as possible – from carpets and curtains to hanging shelves.
The optimal solution for decorating a home office will be calm cool tones that create a light and fairly neutral, but at the same time austere atmosphere. The following shades have been proven to work best for stimulating mental activity, energy for work and even imagination:
- beige – both dark and light;
- desert brown;
- sage green;
- dusty rose;
- smoky white;
A table as the main work surface in a home office must meet two key criteria – comfort and size sufficient to accommodate everything you need on its surface. Depending on what you do in your personal office, the following trendy desks might work:
- wide long tabletops without legs, mounted in a closet, wall or window sill;
- classic desks;
- console tables on thin metal bases;
- traditional models with shelves and pull-out stands for a computer keyboard.
In your office at home, you will spend no less, and maybe more time at work. That is why it is important to take care of a chair or armchair that will provide the necessary level of comfort even after a long time solving important work tasks.
The dream chair for the home office is moderately deep and wide, comfortable and ergonomic, with a wide range of seat height, backrest and headrest tilt adjustments, as well as a footrest. If you can afford the latest office chair, that’s great. However, hi-tech and techno models are not suitable for every office. However, there is no need to worry, since the designers offer very interesting and equally convenient options:
- deep upholstered semi-chairs in retro style on wooden legs;
- minimalistic models on metal bases;
- wicker chairs for eco style lovers;
- heavy chairs with a high back made of natural solid wood.
The lighting scenario in the office directly depends on its size. If space is allocated for your work area in the bedroom or living room, local lamps are enough. However, spacious home offices require complete solutions that include several aspects:
- full lighting directly to the working area – using sconces, table lamps or spots;
- lighting of the room as a whole – using chandeliers, ceiling suspensions or the same spots, as well as diode lighting or track lights;
- illumination of the recreation area using table lamps and floor lamps.
The personal office of the legendary Carrie Bradshaw consisted of one laptop, on which she worked at a coffee table, in a cafe, and even in bed. If the specifics of your work do not provide for such freedom, it is time to think about how your workspace will be planned. Designers offer several great options to choose from:
- linear arrangement along the wall with the selection of several working areas;
- a compact home office with a folding table and hanging shelves that can fit even in the corner of a bedroom or living room;
- an office with a seating area, a workspace and a library arranged in a rectangular manner;
- workspace with a round or oval table – for those who do not work at home alone;
- a large rectangular table in the center, bookshelves around the perimeter of the room, a fenced-off seating area – a classic solution for serious entrepreneurs.
Home Office Key Recommendations
You should not neglect the design and arrangement of a home office. The criteria by which you can determine your correct design choice are very simple – it is your desire to work, a surge of energy and a feeling of complete harmony with the space around you. It is in such conditions that the most interesting ideas are born and the most successful projects are implemented – and therefore do not waste time looking for solutions for an office that is ideal for you in all respects.